Remote access questions RRS feed

• Question

• I have not installed WHS yet, I'm waiting on all components to arrive from newegg, but I have a couple questions about the remote access feature. I've been browsing around the boards looking at problems and answers to try to familiarize myself with them and i haven't come across answers to these questions. First, does the computer I am remote accessing the server from need to have anything installed on it. Like if I want to check up on the server (going into a small business) can i go to the library and log on? Secondly, i saw that you can't open up a file and edit it and save it back to the server without copying it to the computer you're editing from and then copying that to the server. Is this true, or has a workaround been found? Lastly, one of the machines I would like to backup is running 98 due to it controlling a device through serial interface that only runs its software on 98. I am fine with not being able to do the auto backup, however can I just drag the files I want backed up onto to server manually? Thanks.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 4:23 AM

All replies

• I have not installed WHS yet, I'm waiting on all components to arrive from newegg, but I have a couple questions about the remote access feature. I've been browsing around the boards looking at problems and answers to try to familiarize myself with them and i haven't come across answers to these questions. First, does the computer I am remote accessing the server from need to have anything installed on it.

Yes.  You need to install an ActiveX control in order to use the Remote Desktop feature (note that this does not apply if you are only accessing the shares on the server).  (Also, you must use Internet Explorer or something that can simulate IE, such as Firefox with the IETab add-in installed.)

Like if I want to check up on the server (going into a small business) can i go to the library and log on?

That depends on whether you have permissions to install ActiveX on the computer or not.

Secondly, i saw that you can't open up a file and edit it and save it back to the server without copying it to the computer you're editing from and then copying that to the server.  Is this true, or has a workaround been found?

Yes, that's correct.  The reason is because those shares are not local.  The only supported workaround is to install an add-in such as WebFolders4WHS (which would then treat your internet shares as local shares).

Lastly, one of the machines I would like to backup is running 98 due to it controlling a device through serial interface that only runs its software on 98. I am fine with not being able to do the auto backup, however can I just drag the files I want backed up onto to server manually?

As long as it can access traditional Windows shares, I don't see why not.

Thanks.

Sunday, August 23, 2009 4:59 AM