none
Windows 10 updates fail with 30 G hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Acer laptop, recommended by Consumers, with a 30G HD.  Major updates from MS fail for lack of space.  I have only about 2G left on the drive.   I have bought a 64G microSD card and a 32G flash drive.   I have used the latest Media Creation Tool and told it to use the microSD for the 8G space it wants.  But it still wants 5G on the C: drive to install.  The biggest hog on the C: drive is Windows itself.  Attempts to delete other items are frustrating.  The apps that are large enough to make a difference are ones like Norton Security that I don't want to uninstall and the move option is not offered on them.  Move is only offered on insignificant small items.  There are 5G in the Temporary files, but only a few K are available to remove.  It's a lot of trouble to get this update installed and I haven't been successful.  It's a good advertisement for Apple and Android.
    Sunday, January 28, 2018 5:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• You've asked in Forums Issues (not product support) forum so I've moved to "Where is the Forum" forum

I'd ask for help over here on answers.microsoft.com

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, January 28, 2018 5:02 PM
  • Be sure to search for previous answers before posting the question. You need to anticipate the comments that others will make in similar situations. For example it is likely someone will say that 30 GB is quite small; you can upgrade the SSD with more than 10 times the capacity. You need to explain why that is not an option for you. Explain why you cannot remove the 5G of the Temporary files.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, January 28, 2018 6:02 PM
  • Hi cjkellyjr,

Could you provide the exact model name of your Acer laptop?
    And I would like to confirm if the 30 GB HDD is loaded originally in your computer.

Regards,

Ashidacchi

P.S.
    In my experience, major update (2 times in one year) requires over 10 GB of free space.

I recommend to do (1) Disk Cleanup or (2) Free up space:
    (1) in File Explorer, right click on C drive > [Properties] > [Disk Cleanup] > [Clean up system files]
         and check all items and [OK]

(2) [Settings] > [System] > [Storage] > Storage sense = On
         click [Change how we free up space] > check all items > [Clean now]     
    • Edited by Ashidacchi Monday, January 29, 2018 5:44 AM
    Monday, January 29, 2018 5:22 AM