none
How to access software installed on Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for help on how to access the software installed on my WHS remotely. I see the folder in the WHS console so I am assuming it is possible. Any help on the subject will be greatly appreciated
    Monday, April 27, 2009 3:32 AM

Answers

• I am looking for help on how to access the software installed on my WHS remotely. I see the folder in the WHS console so I am assuming it is possible. Any help on the subject will be greatly appreciated

First, installing any app directly on the server from the server desktop is unsupported.  There are tools that are part of the underlying OS (Server 2003) that, if used, can break your server.

Having said that, if you really want to get to the server desktop remotely, there are a few ways to get do it (listed in order of best to worst ways, IMO):

1)  Connect to a client PC in your LAN that hosts Remote Desktop Connection, then use RDC from that client to your server (what I would recommend)
    2)  Use an add-in that allows it (as I recall, there are 2 add-ins that have that ability (To Desktop and Advanced Admin Console), but I'm not sure of that since I don't use those)
    3)  Modify the rdpload.aspx file on your server to show the server desktop instead of the Console through the Remote Access website (click here for details)
    4)  Forward port 3389 to your server from your router, then use RDC to directly connect to the server desktop
    Monday, April 27, 2009 3:54 AM
  • Most software requires a lot of configuration information which is created when you install it, and which is specific to the computer you installed on. If you installed by running the installer for a program on a desktop or laptop PC, and pointing it at your server as the place to put the program, you will not, except in the simplest cases, be able to use that software from any other computer, unless you also install it on that other computer in exactly the same way.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 27, 2009 12:45 PM

All replies

First, installing any app directly on the server from the server desktop is unsupported.  There are tools that are part of the underlying OS (Server 2003) that, if used, can break your server.

Having said that, if you really want to get to the server desktop remotely, there are a few ways to get do it (listed in order of best to worst ways, IMO):

1)  Connect to a client PC in your LAN that hosts Remote Desktop Connection, then use RDC from that client to your server (what I would recommend)
    2)  Use an add-in that allows it (as I recall, there are 2 add-ins that have that ability (To Desktop and Advanced Admin Console), but I'm not sure of that since I don't use those)
    3)  Modify the rdpload.aspx file on your server to show the server desktop instead of the Console through the Remote Access website (click here for details)
    4)  Forward port 3389 to your server from your router, then use RDC to directly connect to the server desktop
    Monday, April 27, 2009 3:54 AM
  • Most software requires a lot of configuration information which is created when you install it, and which is specific to the computer you installed on. If you installed by running the installer for a program on a desktop or laptop PC, and pointing it at your server as the place to put the program, you will not, except in the simplest cases, be able to use that software from any other computer, unless you also install it on that other computer in exactly the same way.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 27, 2009 12:45 PM