Courseware expensive? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I am currently attending SCCM course and the courseware is now online/pdf. We are provided with one computer to do the labs - the same computer we use to read the lab and courseware.

It is so irritating to toggle back and forth the pdf document and the remote servers. It would be better with 2 screens / computers, a printed copy or at least prints of the labs.

The trainingprovider only provides the pdf file - thats it! and i feel that now that i paid 225$ for the course material that it is not my responibility to print out.

BTW isnt 225$ alot for a courseware pdf file? Do Microsoft really expect that the students should pay this much?

Thanks

Friday, November 5, 2010 2:03 PM

Answers

• The PDF courseware is only a little bit less expensive than the printed manual. If I recall correctly, the training center gets something like a 5% discount when buying the pdf instead of ordering the printed manual. The training centers might choose the electronic version for convenience, since it can be delivered immediately while the printed manuals have to be ordered well in advance from the date of the course. Ideally, they should print out the pdf for the students, or perhaps provide a dual-monitor setup in the computers. In my experience, they rarely do so.

The price of the courseware is expensive because it is not just the price of the book, as people tend to think. Instead, most of that money pays for the license for the training, which includes the usage of a virtual machine that contains thousands of dollars worth of installed software, as well as the development of the powerpoints, demonstrations, labs, and other materials used during the course.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, November 11, 2010 3:20 AM
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 10:32 PM