Have key but not original cd or oem code RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I lost my original xp home cd and the oem sticker (silly me, I never attached it to my tower) but I have my key.  A friend of mine told me that as long as I had my CD key, I could use someone else's XP Home CD.   Well, I tried that and got as far as entering the key code, which I did but it told me it was an invalid ID.  Now I have a computer with XP Home partially installed, but not up and running. The CD I originally had and the CD I borrowed are both XP Home SP 2.  The only thing I can think of is that the CD I borrowed came with the computer, well, kind of.  I got taken to a shop to have XP installed and they provided him with the actual XP home disk.  So, any suggestions?
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:18 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:46 AM
  • Hello eagleye99,

Product keys that are printed on the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) sticker that is to be affixed to the computer are designed to mesh with and work with systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer genuine Microsoft hologrammed installation CDs only.  These product keys, while perfectly valid and genuine, are not designed to work with full retail, upgrade retail, or upgrade volume license installation CDs.

Because you got the "invalid" error during Setup, that tells us it is a case of a product key not matching the installation media.  The CD you are using is probably a full or upgrade retail CD.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:10 AM