Antivirus? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any AV software, with real-time scanning that claims to support Windows Home Server 2011?  I'm unable to find one.  I use remote access and need to upload from a campus environment onto my home server.  I'm very concerned that I could upload something with a virus that could cause issues.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Dennis
    Friday, August 12, 2011 6:10 PM

All replies

• Try here (it supports Windows server 2008 64-bit):

ESET NOD32
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, August 12, 2011 6:44 PM
  • I looked at their site and it show support for Windows 2008, but not Windows 2008 R2.  Also, I'm hoping to find a vendor that specifically supports Windows Home Server 2011.  I'm not finding any however :(.  I know there are differances, such as in media sharing.  I installed McAfee SAAS which supports 2008 R2 and it prevented video files from showing on my xbox360.  I also noticed some other issues with the install and had to remove it.

Dennis
    Friday, August 12, 2011 7:09 PM
  • You could try their trial download.

It's also reported that this works (the Business version supports 2008 R2):

VIPRE AV

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, August 12, 2011 7:14 PM
  • Thanks, but same story.  I'm thinking there is nothing tested for these systems :(

Conversation with support at GFI (i.e VIPRE AV)

EmersonB: Thank you for contacting GFI Software's Consumer Support. How may I assist you today?

me: does any of your AV software support Windows Home Server 2011?

EmersonB: It's not yet supported but I will submit a feature request for that.

me: thanks

EmersonB: Hopefully on the next release, it will be supported.

EmersonB: You're welcome.

Dennis
    Friday, August 12, 2011 7:25 PM
  • Guess you are out of luck then - Avast was also reportedly working on a 2011 version. Don't use AV s/w on my server.
    Friday, August 12, 2011 7:28 PM
  • Until you do find a solution, I would say that unless the files you are uploading will actually be opened or processed on the server in some way, I think your risk of infection is low. It is when you open them from a client computer that you may be at risk--but then you would presumably be protected by your client's AV software.

The one exception I can think of with WHS is media files, which can be opened on the server for remote streaming if you have streaming enabled.  But as far as I know the server does not open or process ordinary documents or executable files, and I don't think normal block-level file copy operations can trigger a malware payload. 

So if you do upload media files remotely, you might way to scan them first and/or turn off media streaming on the server.

Friday, August 12, 2011 8:12 PM
  • Thanks Gary,

I hope the risk is as you suggest.  I will mainly be uploading documents.  I see no reason to every upload media (video, music and etc) directly to one of my librarys. All client have AV running and I'll scan from the client prior to moving to a library to stream.

If anyone else knows of an approved AV for WHS 2011 let me know.  I know there are a couple beta out right now and I'm looking to see if any of them support WHS 2011, but even if i'm not keen on adding to my server until they are released. 

Dennis
    Friday, August 12, 2011 9:28 PM
  • I'm also waiting for an A/V for WHS 2011. As of current there is no "supported" A/V.

Be very carefull with the "may work with" solutions. As you have found, they can

play havoc with media. Two of my priorities are running 1. Meta-data download for

MyMovies and 2. VPN. I would not attempt either without a supported A/V program.

Also do not want to pay $400.00 for a 2008r2 enterprise solution.

Good luck in your search and if you do find one pls post back here.

Friday, August 12, 2011 9:59 PM
  • hello there,

i had the same question, take a look at this link.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/9014e945-2440-4de9-bb80-967295bb3f61

Friday, August 12, 2011 11:57 PM
  • Thanks but we already know about those. They are either "unsupported" or at present non-existant.

ClamAV has no realtime scanner.

The promised Avast A/V is a no-show.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:02 AM
  • Thanks but we already know about those. They are either "unsupported" or at present non-existant.

ClamAV has no realtime scanner.

The promised Avast A/V is a no-show.

If you already know about all  " those unsupported "  programs , then why is ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 running perfect on my system??

Saturday, August 13, 2011 10:45 PM
  • I'm glad it is working for you.  For me on this specific system because of what i'm using it for, I think it is important that the vendor states they support it.  At first I thought as long as the software was certified to run on Win 2008 R2 then that was all I needed.  I've since found out that is not true.  Too many unknowns for me to trust it.

Dennis
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 11:56 PM
  • I totally agree. The following link should also confirm that.

http://www.kent.edu/housing/departmentalinformation/resnet/security/remove.cfm

Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:48 AM
  • On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 22:45:05 +0000, pbraaksma wrote:

If you already know about all? " those unsupported "?programs , then why is ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 running perfect on my system??

As with any software there is a big difference between works or seems to
    work
    and supported.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    You can't go home again, unless you set $HOME.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:23 AM
  • This has been a quest of mine too. After nearly a year of hoping and searching I'm going to go with the Symantec Endpoint Protection product for the WHS2011 server. I'll stick with the same product "family" and put Norton on my clients. Watch the following forum for further developments:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/what-right-product-windows-home-server-2011-network-consisting-server-and-several-home-office

Friday, April 20, 2012 8:56 PM
  • I don't know of any AV software with real-time scanning which works with WHS 2011, but you can manually scan for virus with Microsoft safety scanner ( http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx ).  You can use this as a temp fix until you find something.  I use this and have found viruses which the scanner actually removed to my surprise.

Night Owl

Monday, April 30, 2012 2:04 AM
  • Here is nice offer...

an antivirus comparison site:

rebrand.ly/top-antivirus

Monday, June 19, 2017 8:39 AM