Sync Services for Mobile Application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am creating windows mobile application for pocket PCs and would like to use ADO.NET sync services to synchronize data with SQL server 2005. Users of this application will always be in a connected state when synchronizing data. Is it possible to write a web service that makes use of sync services to synchronize data between my windows mobile application and SQL server 2005.

Thanks

Apurva
    • Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 10:26 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 6:53 PM

Answers

• For the current release of sync services, the device as the client is not supported. we are working on supporting devices. once the devices is supported, you scenario can be done.

thanks

Yunwen

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 4:00 PM
  • Thanks Rafik and Yunwen. Any idea on release date?

Thanks
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 8:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Apurva,

We are still working on device support and working out a schedule to release it as soon as we can. Once available, you can implement bidirectional sync scenario between device database and SQL Server through web service.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 3:56 PM
  • For the current release of sync services, the device as the client is not supported. we are working on supporting devices. once the devices is supported, you scenario can be done.

thanks

Yunwen

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 4:00 PM
  • Thanks Rafik and Yunwen. Any idea on release date?

Thanks
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 8:56 PM
  • yes, id like to know the release estimate as well.. ive been watching this project and always assumed mobile sppt was already included...

Sunday, July 29, 2007 7:53 PM
  •  

Does anybody know whether or not Sync Services for ADO.NET is supported on Mobile Devices using SQL Mobile, yet?
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:31 PM
  •  

yes any updates greatly appreciated...

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 7:03 PM
  • Hi Rafik,

We are kind of stuck with the same issue, we do want to make use of ad0.net sync for data sync between windows mobile device and sql server 2005, but want to know when the support for devices would be available and when could we make use of the api's.

please do let me know so that we could plan our project accordingly.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:09 PM
  • Well, I cannot give you a definite date because I simply don't know it. All I can tell you is that we are actively working on it and it is looking good. We maybe able to get it out later this year but releasing products in Microsoft is a long process and takes time. So stay tuned and I will update you (through my blog) with any developments regarding this.

Thanks

Friday, September 14, 2007 3:46 PM
  • Thanks Rafik,

I would surely wait for the release which would support windows mobile platform. For now I thought I would make use of merge replication and later switch to ado.net sync, cause it find it as a better solution for sync technology.

Regards

Monday, September 17, 2007 11:52 AM
  • I too am eagerly waiting for the sync services to be available on the Windows Mobile Devices.

Allan
    Saturday, September 22, 2007 12:29 AM
  • Hi Rafik

This is with ref to using sql ce 3.5 device edition and making use of the ado.net sync feature which is going to be included in it.

I have the following scenario as below:

My development environment is VS 2005 and my Database is SQL Server 2005 (Enterprise).

Now the requirement is to develop a mobile application which would run on windows mobile 5.0 and also to have a feature of synchronizing data from mobile database to the sql server database. I have researched on Merge Replication, RDA and ADO.Net sync and of the three I believe the best bet would be ADO.Net sync.

I would also agree with Steve Lasker that I can initially develop the sync logic for windows using sql ce 3.5 for desktop and then move it to the device.

But I have some more questions with ref to application development for the device.

1. I have installed the SQL CE database on my pocket pc running Windows Mobile 5.0 by making use of the cab provided in the link below
    2. The location from where I have downloaded is http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4CC8F083-6418-4587-9796-88436E117621&displaylang=en
    3. I am providing the link just to make sure that we both are talking about the same SQLCE3.5 edition (I am sorry I am bit confused with the number of releases available)
    4. I have also installed the SQLCE3.5 on my dev machine (Win XP having VS 2005) to access the API’s.
    5. Now can I start developing using VS2005 referencing the dll’s of SQL CE3.5 in my VS 2005.
    6. I mean can I atleast start writing win mobile based application targeting sql ce 3.5 (leaving apart the sync functionality)
    7. The forum below gives an way of doing it, just want to make sure this would be the right approach.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1775261&SiteID=1

1. I understand that there is also a way available to upgrade the database developed for SQLCE3.0 to SQLCE3.5 with an ugrade() method.
    2. So can I create the sdf files targeted towards SQL CE 3.5 and start developing db applications in vs 2005 and the later on include the sync functionality.
    3. Or can I develop my applications which are targeted on SQL CE 3.0 and later migrate to SQL CE3.5 so that I can benefit the sync functionality, is that possible.
    4. Also when is a target date of release for VS 2008 for development purpose

It would be great if you can get these points cleared.

Thanks a lot for all the help.

Monday, September 24, 2007 9:15 AM