Adding addtional hard drives - must they be reformatted? RRS feed

• Question

• I've got WHS up and running nicely, several laptops connecting to it and backing up well. Now I want to add my data drives to the server, like many I've been running a home server for quite some time and have existing data drives.

To my dismay, it appears from what WHS is telling me that it will not include my additional drives into its storage pool until it reformats them...they are already NTFS drives and I simply can not backup my 1TB of data elsewhere while WHS does its reformatting.

Is there a way to get WHS to use my existing drives without first reformatting them - because if not; then to my mind it makes WHS less than appealing as a replacement to an already established linux home server.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 12:10 AM

Answers

• What I had to do was move off a bit at a time.  Most of my storage was on a ext3 formatted USB drive on a NAS, and I had to move stuff to the server, wait for it to balance, move more, etc...

Inconvient, but because Drive Extender is basically a different filesystem (on top of NTFS) there isn't really a way to add a drive without reformatting.

That said, drives are cheap.  But I still feel your pain, my server could use an additional 512 mb of ram... but I don't got the $60 for the SDRAM.

I do however accept charity. Big Smile

Friday, June 22, 2007 12:29 AM
  • No, there is no way to get your drives into the storage pool without allowing WHS to reformat them. So here's what you do:

You buy one additional drive (if you need it; you may be able to shuffle files to free a drive up). You attach it and add it to the pool. Now you attach any of the drives you want to get data off of, but you don't add it to the pool. Using remote desktop to WHS, copy from that drive to the network shares on WHS. Now you can add the drive to the pool.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I call this the "server shuffle". (To myself. My wife doesn't need to know that; she already thinks I'm a bit off...)

However, bear in mind that this is beta software, and there is the possibility that at some point you will have to reinstall from scratch. So try to always have a way to back up your data.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 1:08 AM

All replies

• What I had to do was move off a bit at a time.  Most of my storage was on a ext3 formatted USB drive on a NAS, and I had to move stuff to the server, wait for it to balance, move more, etc...

Inconvient, but because Drive Extender is basically a different filesystem (on top of NTFS) there isn't really a way to add a drive without reformatting.

That said, drives are cheap.  But I still feel your pain, my server could use an additional 512 mb of ram... but I don't got the $60 for the SDRAM.

I do however accept charity. Big Smile

Friday, June 22, 2007 12:29 AM
  • No, there is no way to get your drives into the storage pool without allowing WHS to reformat them. So here's what you do:

You buy one additional drive (if you need it; you may be able to shuffle files to free a drive up). You attach it and add it to the pool. Now you attach any of the drives you want to get data off of, but you don't add it to the pool. Using remote desktop to WHS, copy from that drive to the network shares on WHS. Now you can add the drive to the pool.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I call this the "server shuffle". (To myself. My wife doesn't need to know that; she already thinks I'm a bit off...)

However, bear in mind that this is beta software, and there is the possibility that at some point you will have to reinstall from scratch. So try to always have a way to back up your data.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 1:08 AM
  • Thanks for the info, I didn't realise that WHS was using a different filesystem to 2003. Pity, I just talked my way into a RAM upgrade to install WHS, don't think I'm going to get new HDD(s) as well...like you I also accept charity
    Friday, June 22, 2007 1:14 AM
  • I need to rebuild to update from the CTP to the latest Beta.  I have a 500GB drive and do not have 500GB of data on my server.  Can I do the same thing, installing the drive in the current server, copying files to it, then installing in the new server and copying to the volumes?
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 7:08 PM
  • Yes, with an external disk that's not part of the storage pool on the current WHS the process is significantly safer (IMO). You'll hook the drive up, but not add it to the pool. You'll copy all your files from the network shares to the new drive, then you'll remove it (temporarily). You'll install RC1, then you'll reconnect the drive but not add it to the pool. Now you'll copy from the drive to the network shares. And finally, if you want, you'll add the drive to the pool using the WHS Console.
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 11:42 PM