Attention HP Media Smart Owners: Got Sound? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a favor to ask of any HP MSS owners out there.

If you have a spare external USB sound card, can you to test it with your MSS?

As has been raised in this thread, there are some concerns that sound isn't supported in MSS:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2671551&SiteID=50

Since the MSS is far and away the market leader, any inability to support sound cards would greatly affect the usefulness of music-centric plug-ins running on the server.    ;-)

From what has been described above, it seems the drivers an device load fine, but no channels show up, so you can't listen to any sounds or music.

If you could test both playback and record that would be great, and then report back whether it worked along with make, model number, etc..

Any assistance in this endeavour would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

• Changed type Jonas Svensson -FST- Monday, August 3, 2009 12:32 AM ask for help to test sound cards
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:22 PM

All replies

• Been there, done that (with Logitech V20 USB speakers). No joy, but I didn't pursue it very far. WHS isn't really designed to be a media player; it's supposed to deliver content to media players.

I'll try again tonight, and see if I can't push the issue a bit.
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 7:01 PM
  • Agreed, I'm mainly interested in the recording aspect of external sound cards; not the playback.  So I'm not as concerned w/ USB driven speakers (although it would be nice to know if they worked, and more important, if not, why not).

The fact that it is a 24/7 streaming device is precisely why the ability to record is a good fit.  Since the PC is going to be on anyway, it can augment it's own library automatically. 

I reasonably sure this works with MSS itself (it does in VM).  It's the MSS that's the concern.

Thanks,

Ryan

Thursday, January 31, 2008 7:49 PM
  •  ryan.rogers wrote:

Agreed, I'm mainly interested in the recording aspect of external sound cards; not the playback.  So I'm not as concerned w/ USB driven speakers (although it would be nice to know if they worked, and more important, if not, why not).

The fact that it is a 24/7 streaming device is precisely why the ability to record is a good fit.  Since the PC is going to be on anyway, it can augment it's own library automatically. 

I reasonably sure this works with MSS itself (it does in VM).  It's the MSS that's the concern.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan I have tried with a number of devices and as far as I can tell HP not MS is activitly blocking sound on the EX475. There are many reports of sound working on the WHS, no one that I am aware of has sound working internally on the MediaSmart!    and you will get no where with HP support!

I looked at the registry level, and the drivers appeare to get rewritten, to my eyes. (At best you may see your sound device listed once after a boot then it is changed into a USB Audio Device using Microsoft driver 5.2.3790.0 and the device can not be selected).  I'm not a registry expert, but I have loaded enough drivers to know when something is Kosher and when it is not. USB sound cards simply don't work.

And yes I am using drivers the support Windows Server 2003

Thursday, January 31, 2008 9:26 PM
  •  

I also called HP TS on this today and got nowhere.  They were clueless, however; they did at least state that if you are using a device with 2003 drivers, it *should* work.  The two people I spoke with on the phone didn't think they were actively trying to stop sound cards from working.

I wonder if some brave soul who has both a MSS *and* an WHS OEM would install the OEM and see if this works?  That would give us a definitive answer.  If it works with OEM, but not MSS Restore Disk, then that pretty much proves that HP has modified the distribution (which is their discretion...to a point!).

I can't see how they (HP) could have put anything at the hardware level that would have prevented the devices from working.  It either is a functional USB port, or not.

Have you by any chance tried to go into Device Manager, after the driver appears overwritten, and check the driver there and see if it is now the MS on?  If so, you should be able to update the driver to the vendor-specific from there.  If you do, does sound at least work until you next reboot?

Thanks,

Ryan

Thursday, January 31, 2008 10:03 PM
  •  ryan.rogers wrote:

I also called HP TS on this today and got nowhere.  They were clueless, however; they did at least state that if you are using a device with 2003 drivers, it *should* work.  The two people I spoke with on the phone didn't think they were actively trying to stop sound cards from working.

I wonder if some brave soul who has both a MSS *and* an WHS OEM would install the OEM and see if this works?  That would give us a definitive answer.  If it works with OEM, but not MSS Restore Disk, then that pretty much proves that HP has modified the distribution (which is their discretion...to a point!).

I can't see how they (HP) could have put anything at the hardware level that would have prevented the devices from working.  It either is a functional USB port, or not.

Have you by any chance tried to go into Device Manager, after the driver appears overwritten, and check the driver there and see if it is now the MS on?  If so, you should be able to update the driver to the vendor-specific from there.  If you do, does sound at least work until you next reboot?

Thanks,

Ryan

Here is a link to a screen shot of my EX475 with two USB audio devices installed, and you'll see that none can be selected! Even with device manager showing them as working.

Yes the original drivers are changed and yes I am using a device that has drivers for windows server 2003. One can not load an oem version of WHS on the EX475 because it does not support a video display or keyboard. I'm looking at doing this in another way, as well as loading server 2003.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:20 PM
  • A picture is worth a thousand words...

Try this first:

When you start your Remote Desktop Connection, click Advanced, and choose Local Resources tab.  Change "Remote Computer Sound' to "Leave at remote computer".

This should stop the overwriting of driver you are seeing under HKCU / HKCS.

Check this Q/A out and see if it helps you...

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=158296

The RDP is the Remote Desktop redirection driver.

if you tell 2003 to leave the audio at the server, then this driver won't load over top of the other one.

Hopefully it will solve the issue.

Ryan

Edit: itr appears at the bottom of that article that once the redirection has been enabled, for some reason it can't be turned off and the original devices won't show back up in the list.  Sounds like a bug in 2003...

Friday, February 1, 2008 1:29 AM
  •  ryan.rogers wrote:

A picture is worth a thousand words...

Try this first:

When you start your Remote Desktop Connection, click Advanced, and choose Local Resources tab.  Change "Remote Computer Sound' to "Leave at remote computer".

This should stop the overwriting of driver you are seeing under HKCU / HKCS.

Agreed it should, however it does not!. Nor does going to the group policy editor, | Start (menu) | Run | CMD | gpedit.msc | Local Computer Policy | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Terminal Services | Client/Server data redirection | Allow Audio redirection and setting it to disabled allow this to occour. How ever it will stop audio being redirected to my remote PC.

ryan.rogers wrote:
    Check this Q/A out and see if it helps you...

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=158296

The RDP is the Remote Desktop redirection driver.

if you tell 2003 to leave the audio at the server, then this driver won't load over top of the other one.

Hopefully it will solve the issue.

Ryan

Edit: itr appears at the bottom of that article that once the redirection has been enabled, for some reason it can't be turned off and the original devices won't show back up in the list.  Sounds like a bug in 2003...

It would be interesting to see if this still occours in a OEM version of WHS. I believe from what I have been told it does not. But again I have no first hand experience with the OEM Version.

Thanks for your efforts and thoughts. Surprise)

Friday, February 1, 2008 2:04 AM
  • I've found several instances of that "bug", all related to 2003.  So I'm wondering if that is it.

The problem of course is it would have to be totally reproducible under WHS OEM.

The only way to know for sure is to have a CLEAN MSS, never used, and the first time you connect you have the client setup for "Leave sound on the server". 

I'm going to dig some more for a workaround...

Ryan

Friday, February 1, 2008 2:26 AM
  •  ryan.rogers wrote:

I've found several instances of that "bug", all related to 2003.  So I'm wondering if that is it.

The problem of course is it would have to be totally reproducible under WHS OEM.

The only way to know for sure is to have a CLEAN MSS, never used, and the first time you connect you have the client setup for "Leave sound on the server". 

I'm going to dig some more for a workaround...

Ryan

I've done that I believe, with no change. I am curious does yours have the HP Diagnostic Utility at "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP System Diagnostics\hpsysdig.exe" and if yours does and you attempt to display the drivers tab does it close? I did another fresh install about a week ago. But just on the chance that this is the key, I believe I'll plug a USB sound card in and do another factory restore, this weekend. If it works I believe I should hear something during the restore and the reboots. My guess is that the Windows Home Server Console program is configured to bring sound to the local computer and is invoking the RDP. It is interesting that the EX475 by default has sound turned off, and when sounds are turn on the Home Server Console will play sounds. Now that maybe configyured that way only on the EX475 because I believe most users would have used the Home Server Console program at some point and OEM WHS users are saying sound works on their units.

Perhaps it is a bug that HP is taking advantage of? Just a thought....

Friday, February 1, 2008 3:08 AM
  • I don't have a MSS, if I did I wouldn't be bothering you for help. ;-)   But seriously, I do appreciate it very much.

Before I plunked down the $600 to pick one up purely for development reasons, I wanted to see if it was even going to be worth it bothering as I'm not going to target it if this doesn't work.

That sounds like  a good hypothesis about Home Server Console.  Let me know what you find out.

One thing I just read which I don't know if it is true or not, but supposedly HP doesn't allow you to upgrade the MSS memory w/o violating warranty?  Huh?  They only put in a measly 512mb.  I believe that some of the reasons some users are seeing slow downs is it may be swapping pagefiles like mad.  That would also explain why it seems that disk activity is through the roof.  It wouldn't take too many add-ins, especially those written in .Net, to chew up that little bit of headroom there is with only 512mb!

The TS folks on the phone @ HP yesterday made it *VERY CLEAR* that 3rd party add-ins are not supported.  I heard  the party line twice from different pepole, in response to a totally different issue (ie this sound issue).  Clearly, they are being coached to point this out, as it I heard it twice w/o prompting.

Of course, people will still use them, but I'd keep an eye on paging on the MSS with only 512mb ram.

Ooops...just hijacked my own thread! ;-)

Ryan

Friday, February 1, 2008 11:08 AM
  •  ryan.rogers wrote:

I don't have a MSS, if I did I wouldn't be bothering you for help. ;-)   But seriously, I do appreciate it very much.

Before I plunked down the $600 to pick one up purely for development reasons, I wanted to see if it was even going to be worth it bothering as I'm not going to target it if this doesn't work.

That sounds like  a good hypothesis about Home Server Console.  Let me know what you find out.

One thing I just read which I don't know if it is true or not, but supposedly HP doesn't allow you to upgrade the MSS memory w/o violating warranty?  Huh?  They only put in a measly 512mb.  I believe that some of the reasons some users are seeing slow downs is it may be swapping pagefiles like mad.  That would also explain why it seems that disk activity is through the roof.  It wouldn't take too many add-ins, especially those written in .Net, to chew up that little bit of headroom there is with only 512mb!

The TS folks on the phone @ HP yesterday made it *VERY CLEAR* that 3rd party add-ins are not supported.  I heard  the party line twice from different pepole, in response to a totally different issue (ie this sound issue).  Clearly, they are being coached to point this out, as it I heard it twice w/o prompting.

Of course, people will still use them, but I'd keep an eye on paging on the MSS with only 512mb ram.

Ooops...just hijacked my own thread! ;-)

Ryan

Well at this point I have it working. Smile  And yes it seems that remote desktop connection is the the problem, and NOT HP. With it running there is no sound. If I connect using LogMeIn Free I have sound. And I can have sound playing locally itunes on the EX475 and connect with Remote Desktop Connection, and the sound will continue to play, but within the Remote Desktop Connection the sound device is not listed. I've played with it a bit, and as a test loaded iTunes 7.6.0.29 and it generally works (with the memory upgraded to 2 GB). I have also installed Skype as a service, and a USR USB Phone for skype, as a service. This appeares to be more than my EX475 can handle. If I call the Skype Echo test service everytime  I can hear the woman telling me how the test service works, and I can hear my voice played back ok. But when the woman comes back, she is no longer understandable. Sad I have order another USB sound device and will see if that perhaps improves things.

iTunes will not display in cover flow mode for some reason.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 1:00 PM
  • Thank you very much Darkone for doing this.  It looks like time to order one of these toys.

What was the USB sound device, and what one are you considering ordering?

I can send you one for testing if you wish.  Email me if interested (check profile).

Thanks,

Ryan

Saturday, February 2, 2008 3:24 PM
  •  ryan.rogers wrote:

Thank you very much Darkone for doing this.  It looks like time to order one of these toys.

What was the USB sound device, and what one are you considering ordering?

I can send you one for testing if you wish.  Email me if interested (check profile).

Thanks,

Ryan

You are welcome, you should have an email from me. RealVNC free also works by the way to allow sound. And I can have sound actually playing and Remote Desktop Connection just doesn't see the sound card.  Sad

Sunday, February 3, 2008 5:26 PM
  •  

just use mstsc /console before Vista SP1 or mstsc /admin after Vista SP1.

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:56 PM
  •      I've made a discovery on my hp ex475 while trying to make magicjack work, I kept getting a no audio message. so I bought a cheap usb sound card and made changes to my remote desktop link (%SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe /console) and left remote computer sound at the remote computer. It worked, I could see the usb audio device and play mp3s threw the plug in usb audio device. Then I tried the same remote desktop connection from a different computer and would only get microsoft rdp audio with no sound.

It turns out that for me the different computers are using different version of remote desktop connection. I realized that I could make magicjack and the usb sound work on the hp ex475 when mstsc.exe version 5.1.2600.2180 was used. (That was the version that was on one of my xp pro computers) If I used rdp from a vista computer there was no sound at ex475 because mstsc.exe was 6. something. Another XP Pro computer was using mstsc.exe 5.2. something and that wouldn't work either.

So I say it has something to do with the mstsc.exe version. If you find a version that works, don't forget that you'll need mstscax.dll to be the same version.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 3:34 AM
  • Hi, the reason it doesn't work is because for Vista you need to put /admin instead of /console

The Remote Desktop link should look like this for Vista: %SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe /admin
    For Xp is: %SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe /console
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:28 AM