The CD Key .. not valid. RRS feed

• Question

• I've just reinstalled XP Home on my Advent 4214.

The manufacturers pre-installed recovery system, supplied by TechGuys, mysteriously didn't work and disabled me from booting, so I obtained a retail version on CD (without a key) to apply a clean install and use my existing Key fixed to the underside of my netbook.

I've since deleted the existing recovery partition and created new partitions for my clean install hoping it would work.

I'm now faced with the Windows Install requesting my Key. To cut a long story short the key I am applying, the one printed on my sticker, is being rejected as invalid. What can I do next to get out of this situation?

thanks

Friday, July 16, 2010 12:23 PM

Answers

• Hello Joe.five,

It is normal and expected that an installation of Windows XP done with a retail installation disc will reject the product key printed on the OEM Certificate of Authenticity.

Given that your recovery disc is not working and that the recovery partition(s) was deleted, your options are:

1.  Acquire new, correct, functional recovery disc(s) from the original supplier (PC World/Tech Guys).  This is the much preferred solution.

2.  See if a friend can loan you a genuine hologrammed Microsoft systembuilder/OEM installation disc for XP Home Edition.  Do NOT use a burned disc , and do NOT be tempted to download an iso file for XP Home OEM from the internet...the risk of embedded malware is real and too great.  Use this disc and the product key on the netbook's Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) to do a clean installation of XP Home onto the netbook.  After installation is complete, do a Telephonic Activation instead of trying the automatic online activation.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Friday, July 16, 2010 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hello Joe.five,

It is normal and expected that an installation of Windows XP done with a retail installation disc will reject the product key printed on the OEM Certificate of Authenticity.

Given that your recovery disc is not working and that the recovery partition(s) was deleted, your options are:

1.  Acquire new, correct, functional recovery disc(s) from the original supplier (PC World/Tech Guys).  This is the much preferred solution.

2.  See if a friend can loan you a genuine hologrammed Microsoft systembuilder/OEM installation disc for XP Home Edition.  Do NOT use a burned disc , and do NOT be tempted to download an iso file for XP Home OEM from the internet...the risk of embedded malware is real and too great.  Use this disc and the product key on the netbook's Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) to do a clean installation of XP Home onto the netbook.  After installation is complete, do a Telephonic Activation instead of trying the automatic online activation.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Friday, July 16, 2010 1:46 PM
  • Big thanks .. Dan
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 6:13 PM