Toggle the touch keyboard on Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently using two tablets with a bluetooth physical keyboard: One Windows 10 tablet, and one iPad.

Using the iPad, when the physical keyboard is connected the iPad does not display the on screen keyboard. This is the desired behavior.

Using the windows tablet, every time I touch a text field the keyboard pops up, disrupting my work flow, obstructing the screen and basically interfering with what I am doing. This poses a usability problem.

There are numerous pieces of advice on line discussing how to remedy this issue, from renaming DLL files to hacking the registry - none of which are appropriate for me as I will need to toggle the keyboard on and off with ease as I switch to and from the physical keyboard. There are also plenty of guides detailing complex, clunky, multi - step procedures for disabling the on screen keyboard. These methods are also not appropriate. The issue is one of usability and ease of use, not an issue of whether or not this is actually possible given xyz steps - most things are possible given enough steps.

In my opinion, the ability to toggle the touch keyboard when not required is a basic user input function. I would suggest to Microsoft that perhaps they should look to iOS for inspiration in this case. There could also be an option to toggle the touch keyboard in the action centre, which would allow it to be manually toggled.

Overall, I am disappointed that after several years of people reporting this issue, Microsoft have not deigned to remedy it and have instead advised people to perform clunky workarounds. I would have considered this to be a high priority issue for mobile tablet users, and my impression is that it makes Windows 10 look primitive and unrefined when compared to the competition.

• Moved by Just Karl Friday, May 13, 2016 4:58 PM Looking for the correct forum.
    • Changed type Dave PatrickMVP Friday, May 13, 2016 6:36 PM
    Friday, May 13, 2016 1:36 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows 10 forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Friday, May 13, 2016 4:58 PM
  • If it is a surface I'd also try here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface

or the manufacturer's support channels.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, May 13, 2016 6:38 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The TechNet Wiki Discussion Forum is a place for the TechNet Wiki Community to engage, question, organize, debate, help, influence and foster the TechNet Wiki content, platform and Community.

Please note that this forum exists to discuss TechNet Wiki as a technology/application.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

• Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows 10 forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

• If it is a surface I'd also try here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface

or the manufacturer's support channels.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, May 13, 2016 6:38 PM