none
Cannot edit a post (When editing a post, the contents of the post flashes and disappears) RRS feed

Answers

• Something is definitely not right on that machine. Another suggestion would be to clear our your temp files in IE before clearing your cookies. It's probable that IE 8 on your local box is caching old client files (js scripts, etc...). I would do this first.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:32 PM

All replies

• This should be fixed. I just verified (and not able to repro) across browsers in IE (7 and 8) and I'm able to edit posts. The fix that we did was to add a second delay when the editor comes up upon edit action. There was a race condition happening when you bring up the editor while in edit mode.

What browser are you using?

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:39 PM
  • It definitely seemed fixed until today, and then I started seeing it again.  I'm on IE8 / Vista with all updates applied.  I think it might only be happening in posts that contain code?

M.
    Marc D Anderson - Sympraxis Consulting LLC - Marc D Anderson's Blog
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:29 PM
  • I tried editing a post that "has code" in it and the content of the posts are showing up.  I'm also on Vista and IE 8.
    Here's the thread that I've used.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/csharpgeneral/thread/67f43cd1-51a5-4ac1-9511-b35e51c14f66
    (I didn't actually edit the post but made sure that contents do appear when I edit it).

Out of curiosity, it it's possible, please clear your cookies and see if this helps. I've seen certain issues got fixed by clearing out your cookies.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:40 PM
  • I found a post where I can reproduce this:
    * Go to this forum: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointcustomization/
    * Scroll down to the thread entitled cascade dropdowns started by illegal_operation on Monday, July 13, 2009 1:25 PM
    * Expand the thread
    * Try to edit my post that starts: If you have a script block in the page, and you call _spBodyOnLoadFunctionNames.push();, it runs after the page loads.  In the example below, the fillDefaultValues function will be called.

M.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:10 AM
  • Hi,

I still can't repro this issue. Here's the thread that you've mentioned:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointcustomization/thread/c2bcacdf-f7c2-45fc-b7d3-6346510ee49f

I want to your post with that starts with: "If you have a script" (Has Code btw) and upon Edit I see the contents of this post.

Let me ping our team on this and see if they can repro as well. Also, anyone reading this thread (that has moderator rights against the Forum - sharepointcustomization) can try to "edit" the same post and see if the contents appear.

Thanks.  
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:56 AM
  • It doesn't happen if I go to the thread itself (the link you give directly above) but it does if I expand the thread in the full forum listing using the little down arrow in the circle.  (Not sure what to call that little icon!)

M.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:01 AM
  • I forgot to mention that I tried both places using IE 8 and Vista (my machine). Both places meaning the thread itself and thread preview. (Forum Listing or List of threads for that Forum).

Unfortunately, I can't repro the problem. Wierd. I'll see if I can have other people repro the problem.

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:24 AM
  • Weird, indeed.  Maybe I'm the bug.  ;+)

Here's another place I can reproduce it:
    * Go to this forum: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointcustomization/
    * Scroll down to the thread entitled create new chrome type? started by juel today (July 15)
    * Expand the thread
    * Try to edit my post that starts: Juel: You can change the "branding"...

M.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:03 PM
  • Hi There,

Sorry still no repro for me. A little bit extreme here but have you tried clearing out your cookies? Does it work on a different machine other than yours? Do you have FF in your machine and see if that works?

Thanks
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:22 PM
  • I haven't tried cleaning out my cookies, but maybe I'll get to that.

I just tried the 'new chrome type?' example above in Firefox, and I don't see the problem, though I still do in IE8.  Both attempts were on the same machine.

Next I tried the same example on another Vista / IE8 machine, and I didn't see the problem.

I think maybe we can call this bug one that belongs only to me.  Nice!

M.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Something is definitely not right on that machine. Another suggestion would be to clear our your temp files in IE before clearing your cookies. It's probable that IE 8 on your local box is caching old client files (js scripts, etc...). I would do this first.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:32 PM
  • I tried deleting things in layers all the way down to (and including) cookies, but I'm still seeing the issue.  I haven't closed all my browser windows or rebooted, though.  (I'm in the middle of a few things.)

M.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:43 PM