How to limit users access to specific views? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to create several views in the Leads section and then permission each view to a specific set of users. Is this possible in CRM Online?
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:14 PM

Answers

• Not with Roles, you can't lock people down by condition.  You can use sharing to control what records someone has access too outside their normal role.

With the example of Company A vs Company B that you gave, that is what Business Units are for and then you use roles to lock users down to only see records within their business unit.

The only way to do it conditionally like that based on any random field would be to put a plugin on retrieve and retrievemultiple but this would be very costly in terms of overall system performance.

Jamie Miley

Check out RBA Today!

Check out my about.me profile!
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:39 PM
  • Another alternative is to set roles to Viewable - Owner (as opposed to All), then put everyone that should see Company A Leads into one Team, then assign the users that need to see Company A to that Team.  That will make sure they only see Leads for Teams they are a member of.

It has potential to be a lot of overhead, but it will do what you want.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:11 PM

All replies

• You can create personal views and share them with the users you want to have them.  

If they have access to the data, why do you want to limit them?  They can't surface data in views they do not have access to via roles?

Jamie Miley

Check out RBA Today!

Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:01 PM
  • Is it possible to create roles that only allow access to certain records?  More specifically, can I create a role that would only allow access to Lead records where a field = 'Company A'?

I'm trying to take all Lead records that have a field, say ='Company A' and only allow certain users to see that record.  If the field is 'Company B', then those users could not see it but another group of users could

Hope that helps clarify the question...

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:29 PM
  • Not with Roles, you can't lock people down by condition.  You can use sharing to control what records someone has access too outside their normal role.

With the example of Company A vs Company B that you gave, that is what Business Units are for and then you use roles to lock users down to only see records within their business unit.

The only way to do it conditionally like that based on any random field would be to put a plugin on retrieve and retrievemultiple but this would be very costly in terms of overall system performance.

Jamie Miley

Check out RBA Today!

Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:39 PM
  • Another alternative is to set roles to Viewable - Owner (as opposed to All), then put everyone that should see Company A Leads into one Team, then assign the users that need to see Company A to that Team.  That will make sure they only see Leads for Teams they are a member of.

It has potential to be a lot of overhead, but it will do what you want.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:11 PM