Validation issues - Microsoft is having WGA server problems. RRS feed

• Question

• After several email excahnges with Microsoft on validation problems, I just received this:

Thank you for your response.

I’m sorry to inform you that the Windows Genuine server might be down for few days. I have escalate the issue to our Genuine team, kindly try to validate again on Tuesday 28 Aug 2007.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Technical Support.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:10 AM

Answers

•  

Folks:

Please remember this is a TROUBLESHOOTING section. We do have a section specially for feedback/comments as I definitely encourage open discussion.

Keep the langauge suitable as well - this is a public forum and is read by users of ALL AGES.

That being said, I must lock this post at this time as this post is strictly feedback/comments related. Please follow the terms-of-use (located at the bottom) for the Microsoft.com Public forums.

Thanks,

-phil

Sunday, August 26, 2007 12:24 AM

All replies

• This is rediculous.

Would it be safe to shut down my computer? So far I have not lost Aero and so I don't think I've lost any functionality yet either. I really wouldn't want to risk loosing those if I shut down my computer.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:19 AM
  • Im not gonna shut down. It seems like everyone who does loses Aero.

Its another black mark against Vista. I was contemplating going back to XP and this may just be the straw that does it.

Expect another 'I'm a PC' commercial if the Mac marketing firm gets ahold of this issue.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:26 AM
  •  

Don't shut down your computer!

I thought maybe I needed to restart then try to revalidate my copy, but I lost aero and all the speial windows features that I paid for with Ultimate.

But this is extremely rediculous, three days before my copy of windows will work again properly!?!

Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:28 AM
  •  crowebird wrote:

Don't shut down your computer!

I thought maybe I needed to restart then try to revalidate my copy, but I lost aero and all the speial windows features that I paid for with Ultimate.

But this is extremely rediculous, three days before my copy of windows will work again properly!?!

who said 3 days??  nm.

TUESDAY!?!  Yeah, f that.  I'm going back to XP.  I'm done with the headaches. 
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:36 AM
  • rediculous, i think microsoft repackaged millenium and called it vista. that is what is rediculous.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:39 AM
  • Thanks for the warning.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:52 AM
  • As with all your "happy" users out there MICROSOFT, I could not agree more.  XP it is going back on my PC and I will be looking for a refund on vista.  Ever so politely, get your arses into gear and fix this mess you call VISTA and as for the so called great O.S. you have unleased upon us, not acceptable.  You carry on about keeping windows updated and now we can't even do that.  Not as if it really matters if VISTA is updated.  Can't use Vista for anything, 3rd party related and even sometimes the case with genuine microsoft product. (One pissed off Australian!!)

Saturday, August 25, 2007 7:23 AM
  • You have to wonder why WGA software didn't just say "Sorry, WGA server is down, please try validating at a later time"  instead MS decides to call us criminals and disable features.  Whats the logic in that?

Saturday, August 25, 2007 7:26 AM
  • It took me 3 mails with their tech support with "try this, try that, send this report..." and a trip to the shop that built the PC to verify the SW was not pirated.

You're right, If they knew the validation server was down they should put a message on the site. I suspect Tech support didn't know the server was offline. Real nice communications.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 10:01 AM
  • This is effecting all versions of windows XP and Vista.

Check out the XP forums and you'll see that they are having the same problems as well,

but for the XP version there is a download available that will validate you without having to use

the validation server as long as you don't try and use windows update for xp since that uses the

the validation server when you login to the internet update site.  So either way no updates until

validation server is back online.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 10:10 AM
  •  

Ok, so we can't go back to XP either.  I guess it's time to uninstall all Microsoft OSes and go to Linux. Try Ubuntu, it's now on one of my computers that I was going to install Vista on.  I was also about to purchase a copy of vista for my daughters computer, but I'll let it die with XP on it.  I'm not buying any more microsoft products.  Between activation and this genuine ***, I'm done.

Chris

IT Consultant

MCSE;Security

Saturday, August 25, 2007 11:56 AM
  •  

So, the reason we should try to revalidate on Tuesday is because:

Saturday: Microsoft employees are off

Sunday: Microsoft employees are off

Monday afternoon: By fluke, someone from the WGA team will come across this problem while trying to install some MS software. 4 hours of meetings will be had

Monday evening: Microsoft employees are off

Tuesday morning: WGA server will be rebooted

Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:08 PM
  • FWIW, I too had this nasty little problem infect my computer this morning. I think that this is unconscionable of Microsoft. I am thinking I need to buy a Mac and dump Windows.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:27 PM
  •  

Or you can do like i do and dual bot Vista & XP

and the reason it will be down until monday or tuesday is because they are closed saturday and sunday, i spent all morning on the phone with them to find this nonsense out..funny thing though, no one there knew didddly about anything which doesnt surpise me of course..

Saturday, August 25, 2007 2:07 PM
  •  

No its not, only vista, ive got XP on here as well (Dual boot) and i tested it, XP validates fine.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 2:14 PM
  • Is this confirmed? I was panicking because I couldn't find out why it was saying my copy of Windows was not genuine. Then I thought to check here as a last resort.

But now I'm getting pop ups continually and it says I can't use Aero theme anymore. Am I screwed?
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 2:52 PM
  • well dont go mac try linux first ubuntu is the best by far

as for wga givre it a week atlest and give microsoft time to try and fix it then get red of windows after that
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 3:14 PM
  • I am a network technician and in my field if one of my servers is hung or has gone down it doesnt matter what day of the weekend it is i gotta go in and fix it!

Just bought Vista yesterday.

Cant play any games today!

Woot!
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 3:22 PM
  • I was on the phone for 3 hours last night trying to resolve this problem with Microsoft support.  They had no clue what was happening and continually tried to get me to have them generate a new product key for my retail copy of Vista when this clearly wasn't the problem.  They told me that installing third party software had corrupted Vista and I needed a new product key.  The issue was escalated to a research engineer which did nothing but try to coerce me into getting a new product key.  I think it is unacceptable and and huge customer service issue to cripple Windows because of a server issue.  My fully legal purchased retail copy of Vista ultimate turned into crippled nagware because of a server issue.  And then I spent 3 hours on the phone with support that has no idea of what to do and only wanted to generate a new product key to get me off the phone.  Makes me regret ever buying Vista in the first place.  Good thing I can dual-boot to XP still.

Kevin

Saturday, August 25, 2007 3:49 PM
  •  

I just installed vista home editon (i decided to do a clean new install) and now i can't update anything becuase of the genuine thing.
    This is unaceptable and make me feel like a criminal pirate Sad

Weekend or not, this must be fixed right away they must have some who can stand in in such situations.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 3:56 PM
  • This is very irresponsible. I was scared to death and ended up formatting my computer... TWICE. What the heck?!? But am I safe to assume that the validation process will work once the server or whatever is wrong is fixed? I really don't want to waste my $250.

And I restarted my computer and no Aero Sad

Saturday, August 25, 2007 3:57 PM
  • Reboot WGA servers Please!
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 3:58 PM
  • Somehow I think it will get fixed before Tuesday. As this snowballs it will become a major public embarassment.

I guess it's a good thing I purchased my new iMac last week.

Alex Stevens

Saturday, August 25, 2007 4:04 PM
  •  *GEN*HeroCrusher wrote:
    I am a network technician and in my field if one of my servers is hung or has gone down it doesnt matter what day of the weekend it is i gotta go in and fix it!
    Cant play any games today!

Well there can be something with the servers all the time, but it's just terribly wrong to let all customers deal with a annoying validation bug for so many days. There must be an option for MS to just turn it off until the problem is fixed.

I did manage to play rFactor after task switching about ten times because of the annoying messages. MS, this is a major screw-up. And I really can't image they wait 4 days to fix it if their microsoft.com is down since that is in their advance. Well.. in the end screwing this way with your customers don't give them a great feeling also.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 4:05 PM
  • No. I've just tried go to WindowsUpdate website with all the 3 machines at home (2 Home edition, 1 Pro edition) and have no problem.

It's seems to be a Vista-only problem for me.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 4:15 PM
  •  Turge wrote:

So, the reason we should try to revalidate on Tuesday is because:

Saturday: Microsoft employees are off

Sunday: Microsoft employees are off

Monday afternoon: By fluke, someone from the WGA team will come across this problem while trying to install some MS software. 4 hours of meetings will be had

Monday evening: Microsoft employees are off

Tuesday morning: WGA server will be rebooted

I think they might have to rebuild the validation server from backups, and restoration takes time considering it holds the key of all Windows Vista over the world.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 4:24 PM
  • Pfew... I'm so relieved to read that. I can't help feeling happy to know that problem is not on my computer. Vista Ultimate is really expensive over here. Now, I can see that the Genuine logo is not on my computer properties anymore. I have never been treated like a criminal by doing the right thing before. I say this because I wonder if all the pirated copies of Vista out there are having this issue as well.

Microsoft shouldn't really makes us feel that the genuine software is worse. After all, it is called "Genuine Advantage". I sincerely hope they solve this as soon as possible.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 4:42 PM
  • I think this exposes how flippant microsoft are about supporting their software. Consider this sequence of events;

WGA ceases to function and renders all Vista machines that attempt to download a critical update invalid.
    Tomorrow, a zero day exploit is found in Vista.

A virus is written to take advantage of the exploit.

Because the Critical updates can no longer be downloaded because the broken WGA system disallows it, the virus is able to propagate unhindered through every Vista installation, exposing personal data belonging to every Vista user.

I know this is worst case stuff but someone has to be liable when these things happen. Think about the slammer attacks only worse.

This needs to be sorted out now.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 4:47 PM
  •  

I have had nothing but "stress" with windows Vista and I was getting ready to upgrade...  Not now.  It is not worth the money(grossly over  priced) for the hassle with Microsoft.   The upgrades alone since I have bought Vista are aggravating and I spend hours trying to correct defective upgrades..  Now this.  I want my life back Microsoft!!  I understand wanting to keep everyone honest when they purchase your software but even the best intentions have their downfalls.  All it takes is one diligent hacker or a very industrious young person ...or a server to change all that and make our lives a nightmare, or a blessing.  (such as the AT&T/Apple IPhone monopoly)

Let us own our copies out right and put an end to all this validation ***! 

Saturday, August 25, 2007 4:49 PM
  • for what its worth... http://digg.com/microsoft/Microsoft_WGA_server_down_Results_in_un_genuine_vista_copies
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 4:52 PM
  • MICROSOFT SUCKS...anybody out there have any experience with Ubuntu or Linux?

Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:18 PM
  • Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:25 PM
  • I've been using Ubuntu for a couple of years and have been completely hooked!  I've never had a virus, spyware, gradual slowdowns, or other windows specific annoyances. It is a viable alternative and free, so everybody should try it. You can run it before installing anything too, so there is no down side.  http://ubuntu.com
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:29 PM
  • Nice to see I am not the only one  with that accursed WGA trouble. - Guess we all have to wait for the 28th to see how things  will resolves... I have a funny feeling that this wont go down smoothly. HOPE I AM WRONG ON THIS ONE!!!!!!

Good luck all!!!!
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:37 PM
  •  

Folks:

While we do not allow cursing/cuss words on the public forum - I will NOT be removing this post.

I do understand this specific post is cross-linked throughout very many different blogs/articles/etc. I would like to keep this message alive to keep folks in-the-loop.

That being said, please watch your language!

-phil

Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:46 PM
  • Please, watch your servers....

Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:02 PM
  • You can get a really good upgrade to any Microsoft operating system at Ubuntu.net. Imagine, an operating system totally free, with one-stop upgrades to all software components on the computer!

Microsoft can't even get the right tense of the word "escalate" down. Kindly try Ubuntu, a prime competitor.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:32 PM
  • It's 2038 hours here and it seems that validation is functional again.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:39 PM
  • "Installations which are flagged as counterfeit switch to a "reduced functionality mode" which results in features like the Aero interface and DirectX being disabled."

Now that's what I call a Genuine Advantage!

Thanks Microsoft. Time to switch to Linux.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:44 PM
  • We are working here in the UK as wellSmile
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:47 PM
  • WGA resolved 14h45 (GMT-05:00 eastern time) that was faster then expected. NOW WE JUST HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE NEXT VISTA BUG!!!!
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 7:03 PM
  • this will give you time to go back to school and learn how to spell "ridiculous". think of it as an opportunity to get that 3rd grade reading level you've always had your eye on.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 7:24 PM
  • Good thing I don't use Windows anymore!  Microsoft should just do what Apple did, steal a copy of BSD re-brand it and sell it as their own!  Unitll then I have Linux.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 7:32 PM
  • Just wish we had known it would be fixed so quickly BEFORE I restored back to my backup of OEM XP.  Sheesh.  I could start all over again installing Vista Ultimate like I had this morning, but I REALLY don't want to go there. 

Microsoft, PLEASE show us you have a lessons learned here.  Is it really necessary to validate our machines hundreds of times?  I mean, validate it and be done with it.  Just check the license each time the install happens, which you are already doing.  You don't need to ping it every single time I go to run a update.  All you're managing to do is tick of the honest customers.  I've been loyal for quite sometime, but goodness knows, this is even testing my patience, not to mention hard drive.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 7:38 PM
  • More bad news for Vista. This is why i'm still running my copy of XP pro I got from a focus group at Microsoft.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 8:28 PM
  • Just go here and click validate.  Done!, problem solved.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

Saturday, August 25, 2007 9:00 PM
  • This is a shame. I occasionally like to use Windows, but mostly use a Linux-based, legally free operating system. Microsoft's products seem to work just fine, as long as you never go online with them. I hope one day that Windows will cease and desist with these validation and activation schemes. I called Microsoft Canada to complain about a few issues, and to find out if I could get a business edition of XP (currently unavailable, except as a downgrade from Vista), to avoid activation nonsense; however, I learned that even the business users need to register their product online before usage. I ended the support call by stating that Microsoft seems to punish their users, treating many like criminals, and that their corporate policies encourage people to use Linux or Mac.

Linux isn't perfect, but it's stable, free, quick, comes with drivers in-kernel with no driver installation hassles, and has a very quick bug-fix time. When I need to use Windows, I just boot up into it, albeit rarely. If any feel that Microsoft's policies or products are lacking in any way, perhaps they'd like to try one of the many Linux operating systems available; Linux is a lot more tech-oriented and may not have the drivers of certain hardware written/included yet, but after one learns a bit about it, one's knowledge of operating systems in general is enhanced. I would encourage computer users to try a Unix-based system, and would encourage Microsoft to get a bit more into open-source stuff like other major companies.

All the best with your XP and Vista woes; try Linux, at least sometimes, for some stuff...
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 9:24 PM
  • Vista, in and of itself, is not NEARLY as bad as previous Microsoft operating systems.  Yes, it has compatibility issues, but really- what brand-new OS doesn't, when the last version was, what, 7 years ago?  So far as the Genuine BS goes, that's Microsoft, not Vista in particular.  In case you didn't notice, XP users were also affected by this.

I do agree that people should start using Linux more, and I myself have used Ubuntu in the past.  I'm using Vista on my laptop currently because I know it, I know how to fix it, and my laptop was built for it and everything displays correctly with it, unlike Ubuntu where I'm still new enough [despite having used it for a couple years] that I can't really fix the resolution to how it needs to be [widescreen].

All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not Vista support.  I can hide behind "It's their fault!  Not ours!" this time.  OEM ftw. 

Saturday, August 25, 2007 10:04 PM
  • Yawn... These problems were bound to happen. And, they will happen again.

The day will come when crackers succeed in breaking into the WGPAA ("Windows Genuine Product deActivation disAdvantage") servers, and sabotage them. They will then send out malware updates to all (in)validating machines, and take control of each and every one of them. This is just a disaster waiting to happen. I can hear everyone already: "Wir haben es nicht gewusst!" Yeah, right!

Good luck to all WGPAA victims... You'll need it.

(This message was typed in Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6 running on Ubuntu "Feisty Fawn" 7.04. No WGA server problems around here!)
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 10:15 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion... just did that and it all validated fine.  I guess they must have fixed the problem. :-)  I suppose people enjoy complaining more than they do actually trying to get a resolution. 

Saturday, August 25, 2007 10:52 PM
  •  differentdrummer wrote:
    MICROSOFT SUCKS...anybody out there have any experience with Ubuntu or Linux?

Um, I do.

Everyone who's unhappy with Vista should mosey over to http://www.ubuntu.com and ask for a free Live CD (or download it from the site, if you're so inclined) of Ubuntu GNU/Linux and give it a try. The last thing you'll find is your operating system calling you a thief after spending your money on it, or the computer it came with (and, in this case, you wouldn't have spent any money because it's free).
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 11:05 PM
  • I'm glad the first thing I didn with my new laptop was format Vista out of existance.  It's funny that the lady who took my call when I asked for a refund said stuff like this would never happen. I'll never sign a privacy policy or a an onerous license for an OS again - Ubuntu has neither, and most Linux distros and BSDs are like that too.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 11:22 PM
  • "Vista, in and of itself, is not NEARLY as bad as previous Microsoft operating systems."

A ringing endorsement if I ever heard one. "It's not as bad as the last steaming pile they churned out."

Yeah, that really makes me want to run right out and "upgrade" to Vista.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 11:23 PM
  • Microsoft have really jumped the shark.

This is just another in a long litany of false steps that will slowly but surely drive their customers away.

I for one, will be looking to move more machines on our network to Mac OSX and Linux.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 11:29 PM
  •  

Folks:

While I wholly encourage open discussion, please keep this section strictly related to WGA Troubleshooting issues. For feedback/comments, check the feedback and comments section below this forum.

-phil

Saturday, August 25, 2007 11:42 PM
  • [quote="The Censor"]

Folks:

While I wholly encourage open discussion, please keep this section strictly related to WGA Troubleshooting issues. For feedback/comments, check the feedback and comments section below this forum.

-phil

So it's OK if I openly bash Vista as others have done in here, but I can't arbitrarily post links to youtube videos of Linux desktops in action or where to download those distros?

Who's the commie now?

Saturday, August 25, 2007 11:53 PM
  • I agree with THIS MS has done nothing but create one big mess with there junk OS, Hope Linux can capitalize and maybe the fools @ MS will open their eyes. I have to upgrade on a regular basis and am tryered of them charging me just to activate windows, There DRM crape has just added to the unhappyness and Linux looks better every day.

Now are the commies going to delete this just for the sake of MS?

Sunday, August 26, 2007 12:19 AM
  • THE REAL QUESTION IS WHY ARE THEY BEING REPAIRED?

SignedStick out tongueHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK M.D.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 12:19 AM
  •  

Folks:

Please remember this is a TROUBLESHOOTING section. We do have a section specially for feedback/comments as I definitely encourage open discussion.

Keep the langauge suitable as well - this is a public forum and is read by users of ALL AGES.

That being said, I must lock this post at this time as this post is strictly feedback/comments related. Please follow the terms-of-use (located at the bottom) for the Microsoft.com Public forums.

Thanks,

-phil

Sunday, August 26, 2007 12:24 AM