Unwanted random internet activity RRS feed

• Question

•  

I confess, I am a gamer.

My problem is when the computers in my OneCare circle hit bm.onecare.live.com it disrupts my network connection enought that I get booted from the game server. I know this because I can correlate the bm.onecare.live.com visits with my problems by checking the web activity log on my DSL router.

I'm not exactly sure what OneCare is checking for, the activity doesn't occur at the time of any scheduled activities in the settings.  Is there a way to prevent this problem from occuring?

Thanks,

Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:37 PM

Answers

• It isn't configurable. OneCare submits a heartbeat to the servers throughout the day and also checks for updates for signatures, the program itself, and also for the status of other PCs in your Circle.

I don't know why the traffic would be enough to boot you from the game server, but you may be able to deal with it with QOS settings on your router if it supports it.

-steve

Thursday, February 14, 2008 8:05 PM

All replies

• It isn't configurable. OneCare submits a heartbeat to the servers throughout the day and also checks for updates for signatures, the program itself, and also for the status of other PCs in your Circle.

I don't know why the traffic would be enough to boot you from the game server, but you may be able to deal with it with QOS settings on your router if it supports it.

-steve

Thursday, February 14, 2008 8:05 PM
  • Thanks very much for the reply Steve.  I'll look into setting up QoS though it's not an ideal solution for me.

Can you pass on a feature request - I'd like the ability to pause this sort of activity for say, an hour at a time for all the computers in my circle.  Seems reasonable to me, akin to pausing your firewall. Plus, what's the point of scheduling update activity, when the random activity causes problems? The reality is my Internet connection is a finite shared resource, and OneCare could use lesson in sharing. <grin>

Thanks again!

Friday, February 15, 2008 6:26 PM
  • You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

-steve

Saturday, February 16, 2008 3:47 AM