Include Attachment in Workflow generated E-mail RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I'm curious if it is possible to pull an attachment from an entity and include it in the workflow generated email. Here is what I'm trying to do:

A user can create an opportunity and that opportunity has to be approved by a manager. Sometimes they attach related emails as an attachment in the opportunity. When the opportunity is submitted all the information is pulled into an email and sent to the manager. He has asked that the email also include the attachment. So basically if the opportunity includes an attachment can I pull that attachment into the workflow email?

I noticed the attachment section in the workflow email creation page but didn't see the functionality I was looking for. Is it possible to do? Does it require programing?

Thanks in advance!

-Trevor

Friday, March 22, 2013 6:20 PM

Answers

• Out of the box there isn't anything that will do this. I don't see any reason you couldn't create a custom workflow activity to do this. However it would have to essentially do all the steps, you couldn't return a document from the custom activity and then attach that to a email generated by the workflow. It would have to do everything - look through any emails related to the opportunity, identify the attachments, create the CRM email, attach the files, and finally send it out.

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Saturday, March 23, 2013 2:22 AM

All replies

• Out of the box there isn't anything that will do this. I don't see any reason you couldn't create a custom workflow activity to do this. However it would have to essentially do all the steps, you couldn't return a document from the custom activity and then attach that to a email generated by the workflow. It would have to do everything - look through any emails related to the opportunity, identify the attachments, create the CRM email, attach the files, and finally send it out.

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Saturday, March 23, 2013 2:22 AM
  • you are right it need plugin on create of email,

If you are creating your email by workflow take a new field of check box type and check it true in workflow,To differ from other email.

And on create of email fire your plugin, in your plugin check new field is checked,from email write fetchxml query to get your attachment.

Then add your attachment to your email and save .

Hope this helps. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Santosh Bhagat If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Vote as Helpful"

Saturday, March 23, 2013 10:31 AM