Auto Backup does not work when PC is in Sleep mode? RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen this problem posted back in March of 2007 and would hope it has been resolved by now.  I have a desktop PC running Vista Ultimate connected to a UPS via a USB cable.  The system automatically backs up each morning when I turn it on - great.  However, when I change the power options to turn on the sleep option WHS does not want to automatically back up the system.  I seen the question and response - post to bug report - and it looks exactly like my issue.  Unfortunately the bug report link is no longer active.  What am I doing wrong when I turn on sleep mode that WHS does not like or is this still a bug?
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 11:06 AM

Answers

• The problem people have with some UPS units is that they cause the computer to believe that it's running on battery power. The connector will not initiate a backup of a computer running on battery. Usually a computer that does this will eventually realize that it's running on wall current, but that can take a very long time (several minutes) in the worst case.

Unfortunately, this is not something that the Windows Home Server team has control of. It's dependent on the UPS, Windows, other software installed on the computer, and the computer hardware. If this is the cause of your problem, there is no fix that the Windows Home Server team will be able to deliver.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Lara JonesModerator Saturday, March 21, 2009 4:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ken429 Monday, March 23, 2009 10:50 AM
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:29 PM

All replies

• This behavior is dependent on a number of things: hardware configuration and support on your client PC, software on your client PC, etc. Mostly this is out of Microsoft's control. The connector will wake the PC assuming it's allowed to do so; have you tried changing the backup window to a time when you can observe the PC for a couple of cycles, then put it in sleep mode to see if it's even waking?
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 12:55 PM
  • All I know at this point is when Vista has Sleep mode turned on and WHS has "Wake This Computer for Backup" turned on nothing happens - no backup.  Even when I shut the computer off and turn it back on nothing happens - no backup.  I can do the manual backup and it works.  Based on previous posts I'll try disconnecting the UPS cable and see what happens.  That was a previous workaround from a couple of years ago!  If that works then I really will need WHS for recovery from the next power failure!
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:05 PM
  • The problem people have with some UPS units is that they cause the computer to believe that it's running on battery power. The connector will not initiate a backup of a computer running on battery. Usually a computer that does this will eventually realize that it's running on wall current, but that can take a very long time (several minutes) in the worst case.

Unfortunately, this is not something that the Windows Home Server team has control of. It's dependent on the UPS, Windows, other software installed on the computer, and the computer hardware. If this is the cause of your problem, there is no fix that the Windows Home Server team will be able to deliver.

• Proposed as answer by Lara JonesModerator Saturday, March 21, 2009 4:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ken429 Monday, March 23, 2009 10:50 AM
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:29 PM
  • You are probably correct.  The UPS I'm using is by CyberPower and the software controlling it is standard Vista.  I never installed the supplied software from the vendor since it seemed to work just fine when I plugged in the USB cable.  Does anybody out there have a UPS that works with the connector program running under Vista?  I live in an area where power outages are common so I not ready to pull the plug for WHS.
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 10:11 PM
  • Updated the UPS software to the latest edition and that solved the problem.  Thanks for the input.
    Monday, March 23, 2009 10:51 AM