Where are photo webshare images stored on WHS? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Can anyone clue me in on where images that are added to the WHS through the Photo WebShare are stored on the server?

I used Remote Desktop to peek around the server harddrive, but no luck.

Not only am I curious as to where they are, but also to know if they are stored in the original high resolution format.

Thx

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:00 AM

Answers

• I just got an note from Tom Ziegman (of homeserverblogger.com).

He correctly points out that they are stored on the WHS in a sub-folder of d:\folders\{crytic name}\Webshare.

The files are there in the original resolution and size.

What is not clear to me (yet) is whether these files are actually duplicated or are another instance of themselves (since I uploaded them from the shared photos directory).

I'll report back when I find out.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:11 AM

All replies

• Did you take a look in D:\Shares\Photos?

Note:  it's not recommended that you move things around from that RD connection - always move/change/delete/add files in the shared folders from the network share, so that the system can keep tabs on what's going on.

Also, the files will just as you copied them to that share.  When in doubt, open the share & select 'properties.'  Smile

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 3:12 AM
  • Chris

Didnt work.

The d:\Shares\Photos is a folder where one can upload photos en masse to.

But the folders that I created through the WebShare Photos interface do not show up there.

I even did a search using the search tool on the server and couldnt find.

Thanks for trying.

Peter

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 3:48 AM
  • I just got an note from Tom Ziegman (of homeserverblogger.com).

He correctly points out that they are stored on the WHS in a sub-folder of d:\folders\{crytic name}\Webshare.

The files are there in the original resolution and size.

What is not clear to me (yet) is whether these files are actually duplicated or are another instance of themselves (since I uploaded them from the shared photos directory).

I'll report back when I find out.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:11 AM
  • Any news on this issue? For what I know about WHS, I don't think HP Photo Webshare gives us redundancy (unless it is somehow turned on outside of the WHS console).

I personally don't like Photo Webshare (although I can see its value), and I would like to uninstall it. Does anyone knows how?

Thing is, I don't want to have a separate album for pictures outside of my \\server\photos share. I think there are other good products out there (WebGuide? - haven't tried it yet!) that would give the functionality I am looking for.

Regards,
    P.
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:22 PM