Corrupted registry RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop that came preloaded with Windows XP home.  I turned it on to find the error message “Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM” It says that I can attempt to repair the file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.  I found out that because this computer’s XP is the OEM type that the recovery CD that came with it can not be used to repair the problem with out loosing everything in the process of reinstalling Windows from the recovery CD. 

In my quest to find a less destructive or expensive way to repair the problem, I found an article that gave directions on how to recover from a corrupted registry.  However, it warned that the OEM versions creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously and that you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives.

I am far from being a computer wiz but I’m a quick learner.  That said, can you tell me if there is a way I can find out what the passwords and user accounts are that have been created?  Or is there another way to repair the file without loosing everything?

I do own a copy of XP professional that I’m not using, could I use that to attempt the repair? 

Either way I’m just trying to fix this thing without having to spend a couple hundred bucks to have all my files backed-up and go through the headache of reloading everything.  Can you help me?    

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 8:38 PM

Answers