Change RDGateway RRS feed

• Question

• Since I already run an RDGateway on my domain, is there any chance to change the address that the remote desktop tries to use?
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 5:51 PM

Answers

• In V1, a remote desktop proxy was used (it was effectively the Remote Web Workplace functionality from Small Business Server). In V2, it's the Server 2008 R2 TS gateway functionality. However, that functionality is locked down for home use, so I don't believe it's possible to change the port (which is what I assume you want to change) from the standard 443 to something else. Even if it's possible, it is, of course, unsupported, since Windows Home Server isn't designed for use as a corporate TS gateway.

You can learn more about the TS gateway functionality from Microsoft's Technet web site, or from information found through any search engine. Once you've read up a bit, see if the required interfaces are available from the desktop, and if they're not disabled.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:36 PM

All replies

• In V1, a remote desktop proxy was used (it was effectively the Remote Web Workplace functionality from Small Business Server). In V2, it's the Server 2008 R2 TS gateway functionality. However, that functionality is locked down for home use, so I don't believe it's possible to change the port (which is what I assume you want to change) from the standard 443 to something else. Even if it's possible, it is, of course, unsupported, since Windows Home Server isn't designed for use as a corporate TS gateway.

You can learn more about the TS gateway functionality from Microsoft's Technet web site, or from information found through any search engine. Once you've read up a bit, see if the required interfaces are available from the desktop, and if they're not disabled.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:36 PM
  • Well, there is a setting on RDWeb in Pages and application settings that allows you to define the tsgateway. I was just wondering if there might be a setting that I can modify that defines the real tsgateway not the one that vail is trying to use and it fails every time because the firewall forwards port 3389 to another ip address, the real rdgateway..

Now it doesn't  much matter because I can get to the machine from the rdgateway but i was just trying to bring more functionality to the vail site

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:19 PM
  • Heh. Perhaps you could poke around a little; expand the community's knowledge of Vail in this area? Maybe do a search in the forum here; I seem to recall this question has been asked before. Or you could simply forget about it; in your particular case, you're already using a TS gateway, so just continue to use it. The Vail functionality will simply duplicate what you already have, with the exception of being able to view the dashboard from the Remote Access web site.

But please understand that Vail, like V1, is designed with the thought that it will be the only server in the home, and the server "admin" will be someone with no training or knowledge of Windows server administration. Functionality that such a user will never see (or miss) may well be locked down for the convenience of Microsoft.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:26 AM
  • It is amazing how locked down this product is. I would have pictured a product that is open to future development on the network in a home to sell more products and hardware, not discouraging it. Why make a product that is incompatible and discourages any compatiblity with almost 70% of the other products Microsoft offers?

Keep prices down? That way MS doesn't have to support the other roles..?

In the matter of being a perfectionist, I will just do more research and find out how to do it.

Please stop marking your answers to my questions if you can't answer the original question. If you are trying to keep the numbers up on answered questions, please do it honestly.

You did it with my other thread that mentioned iSCSI

Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:52 AM
  • I didn't mark this thread as answered, or the thread about iSCSI (though I do have the ability to do so). Someone from Microsoft did. As far as I know, changing the TS Gateway port isn't supported at all in Windows Server 2008, so it's not going to be supported in Windows Home Server.

As for the bits that are locked down, I would guess that for the most part things that are locked down are that way for one of three reasons. In no particular order:

• It's more convenient for Microsoft to prevent changes in certain areas, because it makes the Windows Home Server specific bits easier to configure and more reliable. In some cases, this may be temporary; for instance you can't change the server's name at the moment.
    • Revenue protection; Microsoft sells Windows Server 2008 R2 with full functionality if you want that. For the most part, this is covered in the EULA, where you are prohibited from activating any server role that Microsoft didn't activate during installation, but I could see locking certain bits down in addition.
    • Protecting end users from themselves; there are tools which could cause pretty serious issues if used incorrectly. The average user of Windows Home Server isn't a Windows server admin, and since Windows Home Server often makes "novel" use of Windows features, it may be seen as better to restrict functionality, rather than deal with an increased volume of support calls.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:42 AM
  • I never wanted to change the port. I wanted to change where it looks for TSGateway. The actual address.

Here is what I am talking about:

http://www.tinozplace.com/TSGateway.jpg

That's on a real RDWeb Gateway machine.

On your other notes:

Well, I understand that MS sells these other products, but why make one product so locked down to the point it won't work with other products?

At this point, Vail doesn't even work with Media center, besides an addin to archive recorded tv. As of now, it's a backup and library solution that streams music.

All I can say, I am glad this is just a beta. Hopefully MS hears people like me and adds features into it based upon user requests. Although Windows 7 didn't much added after it went RTM but it is a hope that this product becomes a little better and works better with other MS software, like Media Center or god forbid Windows Server 2008 R2; what it's based on..

Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:01 AM