Internal Hard Drive Installation RRS feed

• Question

• Folks, I have a question about configuring new hard drives to my WHS.

My box is a repurposed PC, vintage 2003.  I installed WHS (OEM) with a new hard drive, and everything set up perfectly.  Yesterday, I added another similar hard drive, and had the following questions:

1. As the new hard drive wasn't formatted, and WHS wouldn't "add" the new drive until it was formatted, I took care of this in the Disk Management section of Administrative tools.  Is that a "no-no"?  I was able to add the new drive just fine after I did this.
    2. The wizard asks if I want to a) add the new capacity to my existing capacity (or words to this effect), or b) use the drive as a backup to my existing server.  Which is preferable, given that this is an internal drive not likely to be removed?
    3. It seems that if I pick "a)" above, then I am allowed to enable duplication on all of my shares.  However, I cannot backup the WHS to the new hard drive.  If I pick "b)", I get to name the new hard drive, and I can back up everything to the new drive, but share folder duplication doesn't work (the check boxes won't click).  Is this by design, or did I do something wrong?  If I did something wrong, how do I fix it?
    Thanks in advance

Bill from CT
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 5:48 PM

Answers

• Bill,

Welcome.  Normally, WHS should format all drives that are added to the server, was this a 'pre-used' drive. You should only ever 'see' two partitions in WHS: the C: partition of 20GB where the operating system is stored, and the remaining space is D: no matter how many actual drives you may have in your server. After the first drive, all others are attached to Mount Points in the C: partition under the folder fs with each further drive being indicated by a random number/letter.

Essentially, if this is an internal drive, then you really only have the second option of adding it to your server storage pool and this will allow you to use Duplication. However, I think maybe you aren't quite understanding the purposes of WHS. It determines on which actual drive any files are stored, and if you have duplication enabled then it will store one copy of any particular file on each of two drives. These files are ones added to WHS through the Shared Folders facility. Backups are a different thing, these are the files/operating system etc  from your Clients which are backed up automatically overnight and you cannot determine which drive these are stored on, again WHS takes care of this by storing just one copy of any individual file (even though this file might be on more than one Client) and a pointer indicating the other copies.
    The 'backup' you see when adding a drive, is one which allows you to copy off your Shared Folder files to say an external USB drive so they can be 'backed up' off-site, not Backups as referring to Client Backups.

If you haven't done so yet, then it might be worthwhile reading through the available documentation for WHS

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by Bill_D_CT Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:25 PM
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:10 PM

All replies

• Bill,

Welcome.  Normally, WHS should format all drives that are added to the server, was this a 'pre-used' drive. You should only ever 'see' two partitions in WHS: the C: partition of 20GB where the operating system is stored, and the remaining space is D: no matter how many actual drives you may have in your server. After the first drive, all others are attached to Mount Points in the C: partition under the folder fs with each further drive being indicated by a random number/letter.

Essentially, if this is an internal drive, then you really only have the second option of adding it to your server storage pool and this will allow you to use Duplication. However, I think maybe you aren't quite understanding the purposes of WHS. It determines on which actual drive any files are stored, and if you have duplication enabled then it will store one copy of any particular file on each of two drives. These files are ones added to WHS through the Shared Folders facility. Backups are a different thing, these are the files/operating system etc  from your Clients which are backed up automatically overnight and you cannot determine which drive these are stored on, again WHS takes care of this by storing just one copy of any individual file (even though this file might be on more than one Client) and a pointer indicating the other copies.
    The 'backup' you see when adding a drive, is one which allows you to copy off your Shared Folder files to say an external USB drive so they can be 'backed up' off-site, not Backups as referring to Client Backups.

If you haven't done so yet, then it might be worthwhile reading through the available documentation for WHS

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by Bill_D_CT Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:25 PM
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Thanks Colin,

I too am puzzled as to why the new hard drive didn't get an automatic format.  I took it straight out of the box (so it was a brand new drive), attached the cables, and rebooted the machine.  WHS wouldn't add the new drive, squawking that it needed to be formatted, which I did through the Disk Management section of Control Panel on the server.  Once I did that, WHS successfully added it to the storage pool.

So I think you've basically answered my question, thank you for your quick response!  Treating the disk as backup is really intended for removable storage, it sounds like, so I think I am OK. 

Regards,

Bill from CT
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 6:25 PM