SQL Server Certification, question concerning the exercises RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I recently started on the SQL Server 2005 DBA certification path. I have been in IT for a long time, project managing just about everything. However I decided to get  technical with databases so I planned out my certification path, however I have run into a problem regarding studying for the certification and doing the exercises for each chapter. The problem is I have no where to do any of the work. I do not own a server and do not know how to go about getting access to a SQL Server 2005 DB Enterprise edition to do the exercises and labs. My laptop can not run a VM either.

Can anyone please recommend a solution for me to be able to gain access to a SQL Sever 2005 DB? Are there any websites out there online where you can pay a monthly fee to get access to a lab environment like you can for a CCIE cert? Is there a version I can use on my 3 year old personal laptop running XP home that would do the trick? I don't want to buy a new laptop or computer, and a server OS etc...there has to be a better way.

Thanks for your time.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:34 PM

Answers

• Hello,

At home you will be able to learn a lot by installing SQL Express and the SQL Management Studio Express Edition on your old laptop.
    This will give some good practice for the MCTS exam, I cannot speak for MCITP Exams as I have not studied them.

However, an SQL Express setup will not cover everything.
    These days most website hosting companies lease servers on a monthly basis.
    Contact you local hosting company and they should be able to lease you an entire server running SQL.

If you do not know anyone local try Australia at www.melbourneit.com.au
    They will be able to lease you as server on a monthly basis, I have used them before and they are a good company.

Jarad, Brisbane Australia
    • Proposed as answer by GrumpyBum Tuesday, March 16, 2010 12:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niall MerriganMVP Tuesday, March 16, 2010 1:03 PM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:52 AM

All replies

• Hello,

At home you will be able to learn a lot by installing SQL Express and the SQL Management Studio Express Edition on your old laptop.
    This will give some good practice for the MCTS exam, I cannot speak for MCITP Exams as I have not studied them.

However, an SQL Express setup will not cover everything.
    These days most website hosting companies lease servers on a monthly basis.
    Contact you local hosting company and they should be able to lease you an entire server running SQL.

If you do not know anyone local try Australia at www.melbourneit.com.au
    They will be able to lease you as server on a monthly basis, I have used them before and they are a good company.

Jarad, Brisbane Australia
    • Proposed as answer by GrumpyBum Tuesday, March 16, 2010 12:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niall MerriganMVP Tuesday, March 16, 2010 1:03 PM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:52 AM
  • Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Thanks Niall...I would have however my laptop will not support it, and I plan on working on a few certifications so I need access to it past 180 days. I took GrumpyBum's advice, and did some searching and found this

http://www.hosting.com/hosting/aspnet/

For 37/month I have access to everything I need and more.

Now I can get these done.

Thanks again
    Friday, March 12, 2010 6:16 PM