How can I obtain the Windows 7 64 bit version? RRS feed

• Question

• I bought an HP Notebook at an auction, Windows 7 32 bit already installed. It's probably an OEM license; the MGA diag tool reports "Product ID Type 2 - OEM SLP" and "Product Name: Windows 7 Professional". The license sticker says "Windows 7 Pro OA".

While the PC has 4GB memory, 1GB is hardware reserved and therefore not usable. As I often have memory issues, I consider installing 64bit Windows (I know a full reinstall would be required). If I understand the rules correctly, my license is valid for both 32 or 64 bits. My questions:

• am I right that I can use the equivalent 64bit version with this license?
    • is there a legal way to get the 64bit version for free?

Thanks for any inputs!

Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:43 AM

Answers

• Moving to 64-bit would allow the usage of more RAM.  Whether or not it will solve your problems remains to be seen.  But if it is an OEM SLP install do you even have an installation disk?  Usually they are not shipped with system disks anymore.

Exactly. Thus my question: is there a legal way to get the 64bit version for free?
    Unless you have the original install package with DVDs you cannot get a 64-bit install for free.  If you have the original install DVDs that allows you to install either the 32-bit or the 64-bit, (but not both on two different systems).

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

• Marked as answer by berndbausch Monday, May 5, 2014 2:59 AM
    Thursday, May 1, 2014 10:29 PM
  • You would have to purchase a 64-Bit version of Windows 7 Professional.

Carey Frisch

Friday, May 2, 2014 3:57 AM

All replies

• It's unlikely that changing to 64-bit would solve your memory issues - it's more likely that you have malware or configuration  problems that are causing these.

You should post for assistance in the more appropriate Windows Community forums here...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Thursday, May 1, 2014 6:42 AM
  • Moving to 64-bit would allow the usage of more RAM.  Whether or not it will solve your problems remains to be seen.  But if it is an OEM SLP install do you even have an installation disk?  Usually they are not shipped with system disks anymore.

Thursday, May 1, 2014 3:12 PM

Exactly. Thus my question: is there a legal way to get the 64bit version for free?
    Thursday, May 1, 2014 9:09 PM
  • 1) there's no advantage in using 64-bit Windows in a 4GB system - you'll probably end up with less free memory in the long run

2) The error you're getting almost certainly doesn't relate to the amount of RAM, but to the amount of Virtual Memory available. It's that which needs addressing, not the OS's bitness.

3) you would have to do a clean install to convert to 64-bit - and source the proper drivers (if they actually exist) yourself.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Thursday, May 1, 2014 10:12 PM

Unless you have the original install package with DVDs you cannot get a 64-bit install for free.  If you have the original install DVDs that allows you to install either the 32-bit or the 64-bit, (but not both on two different systems).

• Marked as answer by berndbausch Monday, May 5, 2014 2:59 AM
    Thursday, May 1, 2014 10:29 PM
  • You would have to purchase a 64-Bit version of Windows 7 Professional.

Carey Frisch

Friday, May 2, 2014 3:57 AM
  • 1) there's no advantage in using 64-bit Windows in a 4GB system - you'll probably end up with less free memory in the long run

I'd gain roughly 1GB, because the system could map all the hardware resources to a region above my installed memory. I might loose a few megabytes, too, but as a result, I would have more.

2) The error you're getting almost certainly doesn't relate to the amount of RAM, but to the amount of Virtual Memory available. It's that which needs addressing, not the OS's bitness.

I am not getting any error. I have enough virtual memory, it's the physical memory that's lacking. As a consequence, my system is slow and spends a lot of time paging.

3) you would have to do a clean install to convert to 64-bit - and source the proper drivers (if they actually exist) yourself.

I know. They do exist.
    Saturday, May 3, 2014 5:57 AM
  • It seems the answer is that without original installation media, I need to buy a new version. I thought I had the right to get the software for free, as I have the license already. Such is life...

Thanks!

Bernd

Monday, May 5, 2014 2:58 AM