ClickOnce Deployment - Multiple Projects on a Single solution RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have multiple projects on a single Solution.  The startup project is Login and on successful login, the user will have access to other projects.  Using Clickonce deployment, how can I publish all these projects to a network folder? Do I have to publish each and every project or a single publish is enough? Please help me in this regard.

Also, will the end users get affected when the Certificate expires?

Friday, September 11, 2020 8:57 PM

All replies

• Publish each on it's own
    • When the certificate expires (assuming a paid for) it depends, if you were running on our network the app would be unable to run, on others it may be a message box appears at startup of the app with the expired certificate. This is all testable by running them with expired (or no different) or no certificate. GoDaddy does certificates cheap and with that would suggest a two year certificate.

I would recommend looking at the following installer from Microsoft.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualStudioClient.MicrosoftVisualStudio2017InstallerProjects

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Friday, September 11, 2020 10:13 PM
  • If I publish each project separately, will each project have a separate publish.htm in Deployment Web Page. To make things clearer, please find below the screenshot of deployment page.

1) Do each project have separate publish.htm page?

2) In my app, the database connection strings are stored in app.config file. On each update, do I have to configure the connection strings by going to each users profile?

Saturday, September 12, 2020 9:45 AM
  • If I publish each project separately, will each project have a separate publish.htm in Deployment Web Page. To make things clearer, please find below the screenshot of deployment page.

1) Do each project have separate publish.htm page?

2) In my app, the database connection strings are stored in app.config file. On each update, do I have to configure the connection strings by going to each users profile?

I can't answer question 1 as I've never seen Click Once as a viable way to install apps, always used the one above or a paid installer.

Question 2, a connection string done right should not need user information. Two examples

Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=NorthWind.accdb

Data Source=SomeServer;Initial Catalog=NorthWind;Integrated Security=True

The first one above, if there is a need to store a database password and/or user id and password they can be encrypted in app.config and decrypted at runtime while for SQL-Server you should set things up for Windows authentication and if needed create users and set roles in the database. Heck even if using TableAdapter (which is not wise) there are ways to ensure they still work.

Did I miss anything about concerns for app.config connection strings?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Saturday, September 12, 2020 11:43 AM
  • Hi Ranjith K.U,

Since your issue is more related to ClickOnce deployment, you can consider posting it at Q&A forum for more efficient responses. 

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 15, 2020 6:52 AM