Bug in CRM Online :) RRS feed

• Question

• Strange. I created a LiveId and signed up to a 30-days test version of crm-online. If I browse to my organization URL, i see an exception in IE. I am from German, but i want use usa-account (crm.dynamics.com partner, not crm4.dynamics.com). What I do wrong?:

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online Error

An error has occurred while processing your request. Please resubmit your request. If problems persist contact customer support.

System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> Microsoft.Crm.CrmException: Invalid org locale at Microsoft.CrmLive.Portal.Pages.SignupPage.SetLocaleCode() at Microsoft.CrmLive.Portal.Pages.SignupPage.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) 

Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:30 PM

Answers

• I don't think it's a bug, I think it is telling you that you are trying to set up an organisation in a locale which is invalid, ie in USA when you have either given your location as Germany or it is simply detecting your IP as being inside EMEA and trying to direct you to the EOC in Dublin so you will get much better performance (CRM is very sensitive to latency, like many web apps, so the extra hop across the Atlantic and back is unhelpful).

It also means they can ensure that the terms of service comply with local legal restrictions - for example in all EU countries there are similar laws surrounding Data Protection and what provisions must be in place if you move your data outside the EU. So no business in Europe would usually want to put their data outside this jurisdiction without having the service provide sign up to special terms for how it is accessed (including by government agencies and authorities). If MS don't include such terms in your contract, you could be in breach of German and EU law. So they try to not let you sign up outside of their EU data centre which is in Ireland (and the backup site is in Amsterdam, so inside the EU fence)

Apart from internet lead capture, which is not currently available elsewhere, why would you want a US account anyway?

Hope this helps. Adam Vero, MCT

• Marked as answer by ruProgrammer Monday, July 2, 2012 12:30 PM
    Friday, June 29, 2012 9:15 AM