Home Server skd RRS feed

• Question

• How do you obtain the Windows Home Server Developers skd kit?

Robert
    Monday, September 8, 2008 12:04 PM

Answers

• In PP1 Microsoft.HomeServer.SDK.Interop.v1.dll is now installed on the client along with the Connector software as it is now usable on the client (for notifications), HomeServerExt.dll is still only found on the server though.
    Windows Home Server Team
    Monday, September 8, 2008 9:16 PM

All replies

• Robert,

The developer guidelines document for the SDK is available here, while the info is here.

The API for Windows Home Server consists of two separate .dll files, HomeServer.dll, for use when extending the Windows Home Server platform, and HomeServerExt.dll, for use exclusively to extend the Windows Home Server Console. These are available already, in the Program Files - Home Server folder, they will need to be copied from your server to your developer machine.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, September 8, 2008 4:58 PM
  • Colin Hodgson said:

These are available already, in the Program Files - Home Server folder, they will need to be copied from your server to your developer machine.

Not any more. Post PP1, I believe they are distributed with the connector.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 8, 2008 9:00 PM
  • In PP1 Microsoft.HomeServer.SDK.Interop.v1.dll is now installed on the client along with the Connector software as it is now usable on the client (for notifications), HomeServerExt.dll is still only found on the server though.
    Windows Home Server Team
    Monday, September 8, 2008 9:16 PM
  • What a team effort!  Each response led me closer.  However, I must add another team member not listed in the replies, Google.  Google found both files in my client computers, under Program Files > Windows Home Server.

Thanks much everyone!

Robert
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 8:30 AM
  • First, apologies to MS for praising a competitive search engine on their web site.  I wasn't thinking.

I may be out of my league working with the skd kit. 

When, where and how do I use the kit's ".dll" files to extend the console, etc.? 

Do I need Visual Studio? 

Is there a skd tutorial?  Or, am I asking for something that is just not learned in a few days/weeks?

I have programmed in assembly language, and a number of basic languages, if that means anything.

I am working toward a home automation Add-in.

Any direction or thoughts would be appreciated.

Robert

• Edited by Robert Betz Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:45 PM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:42 PM
  • Best place to start would be the Windows Home Server SDK site on MSDN. There you will find quite a few pages that walk through all of the API's exposed as well as a couple of tutorials that walk you through building and installing an add-in.

As for Visual Studio... while you don't need it (you could write all of the code in Notepad and build it from the command-line against the free .NET SDK if you wanted), doing so from Visual Studio is far easier. Don't have a copy? Grab a free copy of Visual Studio 2008 Express in the language of your choice.
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 10:48 PM
  • Brendan,

I reviewed the info you indicated and it appears to be what I need.  Thank you.  The link for Visual Studio 2008 Express was not working, however, I should not have any trouble locating it.

Cheers,

Robert
    • Edited by Robert Betz Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:14 AM
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:13 AM
  •  Glad I can help... and for note I've updated the link... dunno how I goofed it in the first place.
    Friday, September 12, 2008 3:29 AM