RC1 Backup Error RRS feed

• Question

• My laptop with a connected Western Digital 120GB USB 2.0 drive fails to completely backup manually or nightly, with the drive connected to any USB port.  This worked fine on Beta2 and CTP, but not RC1.  The error I get is:

An unexpected exception occurred on this computer.

COMexception

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.  (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007045D) at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal/Int32ErrorCode .... and then some stuff I can't read because I can't scoll completely to the bottom of the "Failure Details" window, another bug.

Laptop TALQ CAB:  350966112

Server TALQ CAB:  failed to send

Monday, June 18, 2007 1:42 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

Can you all try running "chkdsk /f" on your drives on your client machine, and try to run backups again. 

Thanks!

Friday, June 29, 2007 5:17 AM

All replies

• Has this issue been solved?

I can't backup my Vista Ultimate PC and get a similar error:

Backup of volume C: to SERVER failed: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007045D): Die Anforderung konnte wegen eines E/A-Gerätefehlers nicht ausgeführt werden. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x8007045D)

bei System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

bei System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(Int32 errorCode)

bei Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.Win32.ThrowLastError()

bei Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.VolumeBuffer.EndRead()

bei Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.ClusterBitMapReader.Next()

bei Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoClusterPass1()

bei Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()

bei Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()

The c drive is a WD Raptor. The problem occurs on CTP and RC1.

Maybe someone has a hint.

Flenser

Sunday, June 24, 2007 2:43 PM
  • Just another acknowledgment of this issue. I am also getting a very similar error. ( Same failure code and situation minus the external drive part)
    Friday, June 29, 2007 4:34 AM
  • Hi all,

Can you all try running "chkdsk /f" on your drives on your client machine, and try to run backups again. 

Thanks!

Friday, June 29, 2007 5:17 AM
  •  soundguy72 wrote:

My laptop with a connected Western Digital 120GB USB 2.0 drive fails to completely backup manually or nightly, with the drive connected to any USB port.  This worked fine on Beta2 and CTP, but not RC1.  The error I get is:

An unexpected exception occurred on this computer.

COMexception

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.  (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007045D) at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal/Int32ErrorCode .... and then some stuff I can't read because I can't scoll completely to the bottom of the "Failure Details" window, another bug.

Laptop TALQ CAB:  350966112

Server TALQ CAB:  failed to send

SoundGuy72,

Can you please re run TALQ and if it fails note the location of the TALQ.zip file and then e-mail that zip file to me at a-tozieg at microsoft dot com.

Thanks!

Friday, June 29, 2007 5:18 AM
  • I found my answer a number of weeks go but had problems updating the status due to FireFox & IE both disliking this site.

And the resolution was... there were a couple bad sectors on the external drive.  chkdsk /f resolved that and backups have worked fine since.

Saturday, July 21, 2007 3:50 PM
  • I have constantly had this problem.  I had done the chkdsk trick previously but it didn't find any errors and did not resolve the issue.  I just did a Server Reinstallation yesterday.  Last night only one of four clients backed up.  The other three had Incomplete/Failure listed.  Essentially one HD in each would backup but the other ones would fail.  Ran chkdsk again today and using Manual Backup, they stop at approx 50% and say Organizing Data on the Server....forever.

The server hardware is less than one year old (previously was a MCE2005 that worked great!):

EPOX EP-9NA3+ Ultra

AMD 64 3500+

1.5 GB RAM

1 x 400gb IDE HD

2 x 300gb SATA 3 HD

1 x DVD/CD drive

All four clients are AMD 64 x2 4600+, 2gb RAM running Vista Ultimate.  The WHS works great as a simple file server.  Also, each client is using Vista Backup & Restore to the WHS weekly and that works fine.  But, the WHS daily backups are failing and have been since June 21st when I installed it the first time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I might do a clean install this weekend for the third time!

Ted

Saturday, July 21, 2007 5:15 PM
  • Do you have any non NTFS partitions on the drive? Are any of your client machines, OEM PCs, that may have the hidden partition on them? Can you modify the backup settings to only backup the system NTFS partition and see what happens.

Thanks!

Saturday, July 21, 2007 8:06 PM
  • No, all of the drives are Vista Ultimate NTFS.

Each of the clients are non-OEM PC's, the oldest being one year old and the newest less than 30 days old.  All are AMD 64 x2 4600+. with 2gb DDR2 RAM

I have changed the Configure Backup for each client as requested, just the C: drive with the OS.  On three of them (the ones that fail the most) there was an Unknown file of 20.07MB.  I removed that from the backup config on all three.  Haven't seen that before!  On the fourth, the one that backed up fine previously, there was no such file.

I will let them run tonight to see what happens and report back here.

Thanks!

Saturday, July 21, 2007 10:50 PM
  • I had to remove Commit.Dat and reboot.  Then 3 of the 4 clients backed up overnight.  The 4th just says failed due to a "Network Connection unexpectantly..."  Then it did run okay using Manual Backup.  Next I will set the rest of the drives to backup tonight  So far this program is a bust.  I sure hope the RTM version s working better than the RC version!

Ted

Monday, July 23, 2007 2:36 PM
  • OK, added the other HDs in each client back in "Configure Backups".  Backups were either Incomplete or Failed as they were doing before.  All of the HDs are NTFS, most are SATA 3 and all are under one year old as are all of the clients and WHS computer.  Guess WHS simply doesn not work yet?  I know it is Beta but it ought to do the basics fairly well, shouldn't it?  Any other suggestions?
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 2:21 PM