WHS 2011 viewing backed up files before restoring as in WHS v1 RRS feed

• Question

• In WHS v1, you could view backed up files before actually restoring them.  You were basically given a network drive that mapped to your backup file structure, from which you could actually open files.

On WHS 2011, it looks like you first have to restore the files you want, then you can look at them.

I often don't even want to restore a file from backup, but rather just open it, and pull some data out of it that I accidentally/mistakenly deleted, such as a paragraph in a word document.  Or there might be several files in a programming project I want to take a quick peek at.

Is there anyway to get the V1 behavior in 2011?  The 2011 behavior seems much more cumbersome for accessing individual files.

There have been a number of great improvements with 2011, but it seems like there are several areas where usability for home users has taken a pretty big step backwards.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 3:47 PM

Answers

• Browsing of backups isn't supported through the dashboard. You can still get the same basic functionality, however, by starting the restore wizard, and leaving it open on the last step. You will still have the pseudo-drive (drive Z:, by default) on the client at that point, and can access it as normal. Note, however, that many users find that performance is significantly worse (orders of magnitude worse) than the equivalent V1 functionality.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by ekutter Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:27 PM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:11 PM

All replies

• Browsing of backups isn't supported through the dashboard. You can still get the same basic functionality, however, by starting the restore wizard, and leaving it open on the last step. You will still have the pseudo-drive (drive Z:, by default) on the client at that point, and can access it as normal. Note, however, that many users find that performance is significantly worse (orders of magnitude worse) than the equivalent V1 functionality.
    • Marked as answer by ekutter Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:27 PM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  Exactly what I was looking for.  This seems to often be the case with 2011.  The functionality is there, they have just hidden from the typical user.

Given the new UI, it didn't even dawn on me to bring up an explorer window to see that the drive had been mapped.  Thanks!  

Have you really posted 56,035 times to this forum?  You do post a lot.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:41 PM
  • Have you really posted 56,035 times to this forum?  You do post a lot.

Thankfully, no. (My fingers would have fallen off!)

You can see my stats by clicking on my screen name. I haven't bothered in a long time, but I'd guess I have upwards of 10k posts. Which bothers some folks, but, well, it is what it is...

Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:13 PM