Analyst: Wii in short supply until 2009, PS3 and Xbox 360 need help RRS feed

• Question

• Nintendo’s Wii next-generation console will stay in short supply until 2009, according to a leading video games analyst. The analyst also said that the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 need some “system selling” games as soon as possible.

Recent US sales figures from NDP that showed that in March 259,000 Wiis were sold, compared to 199,000 Xbox 360s and 130,000 Playstation 3s.

Billy Pidgeon, video game analyst at IDC, told Home Media Magazine that Nintendo could have sold more Wiis if stock had been available. He was also concerned about relatively sluggish sales of Xbox 360 and PS3.

“There’s good software movement, but hardware is stalled a bit by short Wii supply and stagnant demand for Xbox 360 and PS3,” said Pidgeon. 

“I believe the Wii will continue strong growth although supply continues to be a problem. I’d like to see Wii hardware shipping in larger quantities or mass market consumers may cool on it.”

Unfortunately Pidgeon doesn’t believe that Nintendo will be able to supply enough Wiis to meet demand anytime soon. He also said that Xbox 360 and PS3 need “system selling” games as soon as possible.

“I don’t believe supply will meet demand for the Wii until 2009. Xbox 360 and PS3 need system-selling games ASAP. Halo 3 will help, as will Lair and Heavenly Sword, but that leaves a hole in Q2 which will be filled by Wii, DS and PSP hardware and software.”

Thursday, April 26, 2007 11:58 AM