Moving files to WHS loses create date RRS feed

• Question

• I recently moved most of the files off of my wife's desktop to a shared folder on WHS.  Today, she pointed out that all of the files on the server had a create date of 11/04/2008, the date I moved them to the server.  In many cases it is very useful to have the original create date.  Is there anyway to move files to WHS and maintain the original create date of the file.

Thanks,
    Ed
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 1:00 AM

Answers

• Sailwithed said:

I recently moved most of the files off of my wife's desktop to a shared folder on WHS.  Today, she pointed out that all of the files on the server had a create date of 11/04/2008, the date I moved them to the server.  In many cases it is very useful to have the original create date.  Is there anyway to move files to WHS and maintain the original create date of the file.

Thanks,
    Ed

No, because that's not the correct creation date.  When you copy or move a file to a new location, the date and time that the file moved is when that file was created.  It has nothing to do with WHS.  That's how all MS OSes operate.

However, when you copy or move files from one location to another, the modified date does not change.  That's about as close as you can get to what you want.
    • Marked as answer by Sailwithed Sunday, November 9, 2008 4:35 PM
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 2:37 AM

All replies

• Sailwithed said:

I recently moved most of the files off of my wife's desktop to a shared folder on WHS.  Today, she pointed out that all of the files on the server had a create date of 11/04/2008, the date I moved them to the server.  In many cases it is very useful to have the original create date.  Is there anyway to move files to WHS and maintain the original create date of the file.

Thanks,
    Ed

No, because that's not the correct creation date.  When you copy or move a file to a new location, the date and time that the file moved is when that file was created.  It has nothing to do with WHS.  That's how all MS OSes operate.

However, when you copy or move files from one location to another, the modified date does not change.  That's about as close as you can get to what you want.
    • Marked as answer by Sailwithed Sunday, November 9, 2008 4:35 PM
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 2:37 AM
  • OK, I was afraid of that.
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 4:36 PM