What happens when the beta period ends??? RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed the CTP version of WHS and I am starting to use it as the server for the 4 PCs in my home.  What happens when the final product is released - will I be able to upgrade to the final product?  Will you be able to buy a copy of WHS or will it only be available with a new system?  Should I be treating WHS as a temporary solution and not move data that I am worried about losing - such as photos and music, without keeping a copy elsewhere?
    Monday, April 30, 2007 3:07 AM

Answers

• Well, the way I understand reinstall versus new install now is: reinstall, just rewrites system partition, data drives are left intact. you have to renistall connector software and create users again.

new install or fresh install, data drives are blown away as well.

I can live with recreating user and computer accounts because of 10 user/computer limit, but i don't want to reinstall data drives. although, I could survive it would just be another couple of hours out of my life screwing around with computers.

Monday, April 30, 2007 3:33 AM

All replies

• The official answer is that this is a beta product, so always make sure that you have a backup of all important data.

But, I believe we have been told that there would be an upgrade path as there was from b2 to ctp. But my and others upgrades from b2 didn't work so smoothly.

My personal plan is to make sure that I have folder duplication on all important data and if reintall fails, I will remove 2nd drives before doing a new install. You can always install new data folders if you can mount the drives from another machine even though it might be a hassle.

Monday, April 30, 2007 3:18 AM
  • Would you be able to just move the drives from WHS to another PC?  Copying a few hundred gig of files to another PC and then back to a new version of WHS doesn't seem like too much fun.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 3:22 AM
  • Well, the way I understand reinstall versus new install now is: reinstall, just rewrites system partition, data drives are left intact. you have to renistall connector software and create users again.

new install or fresh install, data drives are blown away as well.

I can live with recreating user and computer accounts because of 10 user/computer limit, but i don't want to reinstall data drives. although, I could survive it would just be another couple of hours out of my life screwing around with computers.

Monday, April 30, 2007 3:33 AM