WGA Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Bill Gates, I ordered a new Dell yesterday and am seriously considering cancelling the order and getting a Mac.  Tell me how to get this horse ***Removed Language*** from annoying me everytime I start my computer ASAP!  The reason I have to get a new one is because eveytime there is an issue I am told to install this or that so now the ***Removed Language*** thing is bogged down with ***Removed Language*** little diagnostic programs.  

Steve Jobs Save Me!
    • Split by Stephen Holm Friday, May 29, 2009 5:14 PM Splitting post....stephen
    • Edited by Stephen Holm Friday, May 29, 2009 5:32 PM Removed language...Stephen
    Friday, May 29, 2009 4:36 PM

Answers

• V-Gates Wayne :-)

No problem and thank you. Wayne have you had the time or has anyone ever explained what the benefits are for Windows Genuine Advantage "WGA" program? If you have time please visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/. Here you can read about the WGA program and how it benefits you as our valued customer. We have seen many times where customers have purchased non-genuine Windows from online auctions, online stores, local business, and computers turned in for repairs.  Unfortunately the customer blames us for what happens. The software wasn’t sold by us but by dishonest company or person. When a customer fails either Windows or Office validation you are then offered to “Get Genuine”. Essentially the customer is able to purchase the software at ½ of the original cost. Next we recommend them to file a piracy report by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/piracy . 

Another situation is a customer will be sold Windows with with a blocked Volume Licensing Key "VLK".  
    As a rule, VL editions of Windows should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP is Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original product key holder for various reasons such as the product key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired. Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, i.e., more installations of Windows using that key than authorized.  Unfortunately they find out their Windows is non-genuine. Also this isn't only occurring with the software industry but with other commodities as well. 

You mentioned loosing the original software for your laptop.  Please contact Dell Technical Support and request them to send you the Recovery Software for your laptop model.  I have included their contact information here for your convenience.

NOTE:  Since the telephone number and websites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.

Welcome To Dell Support

http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

Dell Community Forums

http://en.community.dell.com/

Request Backup Discs

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

Thank you again Wayne and hopefully the additional information will be helpful.  Have a wonderful weekend!

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, May 29, 2009 8:53 PM
    Friday, May 29, 2009 8:52 PM

All replies

• Seriously, I have XP, and know how to use a computer.  I don"t have the Windows XP - Programs (or whatever) in Add/Remove Programs.  I want this off of here...immediately.  MS is really doing their customers a disservice.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 5:26 PM
  • Good Morning Wayne,

Thank you for visiting us today. To let you know I split off your post and made a separate thread so as to minimize any confusion. We would like to help but first we need to ask you from using colorful words. There are customers who post here globally of all ages and we do not want anyone to become offended. Thank you for your help. 

Did your Dell come with Vista pre-installed? If so please let us know because I would need to move your thread to our Vista Forum where I also server customers. Wayne you indicate being annoyed every time you start your Dell. Can you please provide us with more details? Next you said, "I have to get a new one is because every time there is an issue". Please be more definitive. What is the issue you claim causing you to get a "New" one?  Are you meaning purchasing a new computer or new Windows every time there is an issue? WGA should not cause your computer to be "Bogged Down". Have you checked the pre-installed programs which are present on start-up? Next are these programs really required or can they be removed whereas you may launch them as needed? Sometimes there are programs installed that launch @ startup which can be removed from the start up sequence and launched on an as needed basis. I suggest you research this and if need be contact Dell Technical Support and ask them how you can streamline your system and make it faster.

Wayne, In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the “Windows” tab, and click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

If you do not have access to the Start Button:

1)    Login to Vista and click the option that brings up Internet Explorer.

2)    Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.

3)    A window will come up asking if you want to “Run” or “Save”, Select “Run”

4)    When the program runs, click the “Continue” button, then click the “Copy” button.

5)    Return to this thread http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/4db3a6a7-ea94-4101-a86e-a6d496d981ae

6)    In a reply post, paste the Diagnostic Report.

Thank you Wayne,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Friday, May 29, 2009 5:29 PM
  • Stephen,
    Thanks for the response and I apologize for using "colorful words", I wanted to stress the frustration as others have expressed that MS is hurting more than helping and solely providing a run around.  

As I said, I have XP and it came installed.  The computer is old and through the process of moving and what not, I do not have the original Dell install discs.  Another reason that I am getting another one.  I am going to gift this laptop to my younger brother as he does not have a computer so I am in the process of deleting a lot of useless items on it.  

Bottomline is, I (and apparently others) do not feel, that I should have to download any tool/program to basically remove a pop-up "advertisement" for another program that I did not install myself.  If there is no way to remove this otherwise, my brother will have to deal with it and additionally, I will be sure to not have my new laptop connect to the MS site and check for automatic updates.  This is poor service on MS part.  I suggest strongly that you people get your ***Removed Language*** (yes, I removed that myself) together and find a way for any customer to be able to remove this aggrevation.  

Danke Schoen,

Wayne
    Friday, May 29, 2009 7:45 PM
  • V-Gates Wayne :-)

No problem and thank you. Wayne have you had the time or has anyone ever explained what the benefits are for Windows Genuine Advantage "WGA" program? If you have time please visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/. Here you can read about the WGA program and how it benefits you as our valued customer. We have seen many times where customers have purchased non-genuine Windows from online auctions, online stores, local business, and computers turned in for repairs.  Unfortunately the customer blames us for what happens. The software wasn’t sold by us but by dishonest company or person. When a customer fails either Windows or Office validation you are then offered to “Get Genuine”. Essentially the customer is able to purchase the software at ½ of the original cost. Next we recommend them to file a piracy report by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/piracy . 

Another situation is a customer will be sold Windows with with a blocked Volume Licensing Key "VLK".  
    As a rule, VL editions of Windows should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP is Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original product key holder for various reasons such as the product key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired. Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, i.e., more installations of Windows using that key than authorized.  Unfortunately they find out their Windows is non-genuine. Also this isn't only occurring with the software industry but with other commodities as well. 

You mentioned loosing the original software for your laptop.  Please contact Dell Technical Support and request them to send you the Recovery Software for your laptop model.  I have included their contact information here for your convenience.

NOTE:  Since the telephone number and websites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.

Welcome To Dell Support

http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

Dell Community Forums

http://en.community.dell.com/

Request Backup Discs

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

Thank you again Wayne and hopefully the additional information will be helpful.  Have a wonderful weekend!

Stephen

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, May 29, 2009 8:53 PM
    Friday, May 29, 2009 8:52 PM
  • Thanks again Stephen, I apologize again and I have worked in customer service so I understand that sometimes being the voice of the company is not the most pleasant job in the world :). 

I guess I am OK living in bliss at the fact that whether the product is genuine or not, all I really want is for it to work.  Additionally, if it isn't genuine and it does work, why am I going to shell out even 1/2 price for the program?  Excuse the sarcasm but am I going to get a medal to show off around town saying that I trusted I was buying the real thing, unknowingly I didn't, so I purchased it a second time and now I have the proud distinction of spending 1 1/2 times for the same product that now is labelled "Genuine"?  (Holding back a Tommy Boy reference here with potential ***Removed Language*** in regards to a certain bodily function in a box stamped "Guaranteed".) 

I look at it this way:  If MS wants to know something, make it like a pop-up internet survey.  Allow customers the option whether they want to participate in it or not.  If they don't, they shouldn't be harassed daily by it.  If they have purchased a copy of MS programs or it came installed on their PC/Laptop, why are they made to have to prove where it came from and if it is genuine?  It will make for a better experience for the customer (whom I might add is USUALLY right) and not waste MS customer service reps, moderators or whomevers time.  Instead, MS has to deal with people griping and the customer is forced to take the time to get rid of the issue.  Not really a good way for a company as large as MS to treat their clients.  But when the company gets that large, I guess the regular guy (or gal) just isn't that important as long as MS has the largest share of the market and the customer continues to pass along the cash.

In this day and age, even a reputable company like MS offering something like this, seems like an invasion of privacy and another way for someone to get information from the customer unwillingly.  I'm no conspiracy theorist but it seems a little much.

Thanks again for your time and I guess I will just have to live with this daily aggravation.  If the MS Mensa Society comes up with a way to remove it without having to install something please be sure to have it e-mailed to me.  Boooooooooooooooo!

Thank you for all the joys and pains,

Wayne Newton
    Friday, May 29, 2009 9:58 PM
  • Hello Wayne,

From what you posted, this is how I understand your situation:  You ordered a new Dell.  You are giving your old Dell to your brother.  You want to clear off unnecssary info and data.  And there is some kind of Microsoft pop-up appearing.

When you start your old Dell, do you see a blue bar with www.dell.com at the top of the screen for exactly two seconds right before the Windows logo comes up?  If so, you should be able to use Dell PC Restore to reimage the computer back to out-of-the-box condition and accomplish what you want, that is, get rid of the popup and erase everything so brother has a clean Windows installation to work with.  To enter Dell PC Restore, press CTRL + F11 when you see that blu bar.

If no blue bar, here's the easy solution:  Contact Dell and order the Dell OS Reinstallation CD for your old computer.  Before you run it, visit support.dell.com and punch in the Service Tag for the old computer.  Then go to the drivers download page for the computer, and download and save to flash drive the NIC drivers (either wired or wireless as the case may be).  Next, run the Dell CD to do a clean installation:  http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html  Finally, after the installation is complete, if XP does not recognize your network card, you have the saved driver--install it and get back to that driver page at Dell to finish installing drivers.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, June 1, 2009 5:52 PM