Trouble adding new hard drive to storage pool RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings! I just purchased a new 750 GB Seagate SATA hard drive to add to my home server. However, the WHS Console is not recognizing the drive. I attached a monitor to WHS box directly (it usually runs headless), and the drive is recognized by the motherboard and visible in BIOS.

I can even see the drive in My Computer. I can access it from Computer Management, too. I can format it, and assign a drive letter. The drive appears to be working fine, I just can't get the WHS console to see it, so I can't add it to the storage pool.

Any idea why this could be!? Here is a brief run-down of my server's specs.

Core 2 Duo E4500 (2.2 GHz)
    2 x 1 GB OCZ DDR2 800
    ECS 945GTC-M 1333
    Rosewill RC-401-EX PCI-e NIC
    2 x Rosewill RC-209 PCI SATA
    2 x Seagate 320 GB SATA
    8 x Western Digital 500 GB SATA
    Cooler Master Centurion case
    3 x iStar 3-to-4 optical bay hard drive cages
    Hiper Type R 580w modular PSU

All ten hard drives listed above are currently recognized and happy members of the storage pool. I just can't get the WHS Console to see the new Seagate 750 GB drive. Help!
    Core 2 Duo e4500 (2.2 GHz), ECS 945GCT-M, 2x1GB OCZ DDR2, 4x500GB SATA, 2x320GB SATA
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 9:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    you may try to initialize that disk as outlined in this FAQ.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by PrincessNybor Saturday, December 20, 2008 8:27 PM
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 7:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You could try attaching the drive to one of your Clients and repartition/reformat it, then run XP recovery console in repair mode and use "fixmbr d:" where 'd:' is your new drive.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 5:46 PM
  • Hi,
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by PrincessNybor Saturday, December 20, 2008 8:27 PM
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 7:35 PM
  •  
    Olaf Engelke said:

Hi,
    Olaf

Thanks so much! Cleaning the disk according to that FAQ fixed it, and the drive has now been added to the storage pool. The best part is that I didn't need to shut down or reboot the server, since my husband is currently streaming a movie from it in the other room! [=^D

Many thanks!
    Core 2 Duo e4500 (2.2 GHz), ECS 945GCT-M, 2x1GB OCZ DDR2, 4x500GB SATA, 2x320GB SATA
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 8:27 PM