off topic - installing xp on a new computer RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have  fully licensed copy of xp on my old computer, i have bought a new computer with xp already installed, i want to give my xp package to my dad to upgrade his computer. How do i do this without infringing the licence to run on only 1 compter?

Sunday, March 2, 2008 2:29 PM

All replies

• This is a OneCare forum, not XP. You should post this question in an appropriate forum.

Cruise
    Monday, March 3, 2008 11:23 PM
  •  badgerboy13 wrote:

I have  fully licensed copy of xp on my old computer, i have bought a new computer with xp already installed, i want to give my xp package to my dad to upgrade his computer. How do i do this without infringing the licence to run on only 1 compter?

Cruiseman is correct BadgerBoy13, you should go to the Windows XP Newsgroup for this.  .....

But to answer your question, you can't, unless you give your old computer to your dad.  Your licensed copy of Windows XP is directly tied to your old computer's manufacturer, motherboard chipset and Windows XP Product Key, and therefore cannot be installed on another computer for more than 15 days.  In other words, you won't be able to activate your old copy of Windows XP on your dad's old computer.

Hope that helps. 

Elliot

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 6:25 AM