self created "common" directory in "public"? RRS feed

• Question

• After a new installation of WHS and up- time of about 1 week, I found a directory in the public share which looks strange. I did not create it manually, it was created automatically. The problem is, that it is being filled up with files (look like a backup of all other shares) until 0Byte of the storage is available.

THe new path looks like: \\HOMESERVER\Öffentlich\Common\SAMSUNG_J1KS703160_USB_Device\2010-08-07_1652\shares\Fotos (where "öffentlich" is the german word for "public". The name of the SAMSUNG drive looks very much like my external USB drive for backup.

After having read some of the WHS documents this looks like a kind of miss-mounting or so. 
    THere is another strange thing happening from the very beginning on: The local backup of the server to a UB drive did never finish. It always stopped close to the end (at 60%) - every manual restart I tried increased this number - the highest score I was able to reach was 96%. There was o related error to be found in the eventlog. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Greetings,
    Werner

Sunday, August 15, 2010 8:00 AM

Answers

• I think you have an ACER H340 and you pressed the USB backup button on the machine. I did the same thing not realizing that it is meant to back up the data on your USB hard drive to the WHS rather than the data from your WHS to the USB drive. You backed up your USB drive.
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by WenerE Sunday, August 22, 2010 10:41 AM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:13 PM

All replies

• After a new installation of WHS and up- time of about 1 week, I found a directory in the public share which looks strange. I did not create it manually, it was created automatically. The problem is, that it is being filled up with files (look like a backup of all other shares) until 0Byte of the storage is available.

THe new path looks like: \\HOMESERVER\Öffentlich\Common\SAMSUNG_J1KS703160_USB_Device\2010-08-07_1652\shares\Fotos (where "öffentlich" is the german word for "public". The name of the SAMSUNG drive looks very much like my external USB drive for backup.

After having read some of the WHS documents this looks like a kind of miss-mounting or so. 
    THere is another strange thing happening from the very beginning on: The local backup of the server to a UB drive did never finish. It always stopped close to the end (at 60%) - every manual restart I tried increased this number - the highest score I was able to reach was 96%. There was o related error to be found in the eventlog. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Greetings,
    Werner

It sounds like your backup drive somehow ended up in the Public share.  You might try disabling the server backup temporarily, deleting the Common folder, reboot the server, then run a server backup again.

Having said that, how much data are you trying to backup to your external hard drive?  What is the capacity of the external hard drive?

Sunday, August 15, 2010 2:40 PM
  • I will try this. I just wonder how this can happen?

it's about 1,6 TB to backup on a 2TB exernal USB drive.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 2:51 PM
  • I will try this. I just wonder how this can happen?

it's about 1,6 TB to backup on a 2TB exernal USB drive.

I don't know.  Do you have any add-ins or applications installed on the server?

Also, I forgot to mention before, but you might want to format the external drive as well (just to have a "fresh start" on your new backup run).

Sunday, August 15, 2010 2:57 PM
  • the only addin installed is the newest version of ASSET UPNP Ves. 2.1.4. to stream my flac files to my LINN media-streamer ;-)
    THedirectory is currently being deleted - this will take a while as it is 1,4TB large.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 3:45 PM
  • the only addin installed is the newest version of ASSET UPNP Ves. 2.1.4. to stream my flac files to my LINN media-streamer ;-)
    THedirectory is currently being deleted - this will take a while as it is 1,4TB large.
    You might try uninstalling that add-in and see if it changes anything.
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 4:04 PM
  • OK, I deleted the backup directory in the public share - and I found an error in the logfile, when the server-backup process stopped:

EventType clr20r3, P1 homeserverconsole.exe, P2 6.0.0.0, P3 4acceb5f, P4 whscommon, P5 6.0.0.0, P6 4accead8, P7 334, P8 1b, P9 system.argumentoutofrange, P10 NIL

Fehler in Warteschlange: Fehlgeschlagene Anwendung homeserverconsole.exe, Version 6.0.2423.0, fehlgeschlagenes Modul kernel32.dll, Version 5.2.3790.4480, Fehleradresse 0x0000bef7.

everything seems to work again, except the backup process of the server to the US drive.

Monday, August 16, 2010 9:42 AM
  • I think you have an ACER H340 and you pressed the USB backup button on the machine. I did the same thing not realizing that it is meant to back up the data on your USB hard drive to the WHS rather than the data from your WHS to the USB drive. You backed up your USB drive.
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by WenerE Sunday, August 22, 2010 10:41 AM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:13 PM
  • you where exactly right! classical missunderstanding of a new feature! Thanks a lot! Werner
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 10:40 AM