none
Streets and Trips multi-stop route RRS feed

• Question

• I've imported 150 pushpins and I want to route deliveries to all of the places.  Please tell me there's an easy way to do that instead of typing each name one at a time to add them to the route.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 1:25 AM

All replies

• I was hoping Streets and Trips would determine the best route for all the addresses that I uploaded.  I need help!!!
    Friday, January 27, 2012 1:38 AM
  • Now that you have imported your 150 addresses as pushpins, go to the Legend and overview panel, select the pushpin set, right-click and select "Add pushpins as stops".  Then, go to the Route Planner panel and click on "Optimize Stops."
    • Proposed as answer by Philip K1 Friday, January 27, 2012 4:09 AM
    Friday, January 27, 2012 4:08 AM
  • Just to note that 150 addresses could take a long time to compute! This is really just a variation of the Travelling Salesman Problem (to perform a full search of all combinations would take many times longer than the age of the universe). Luckily MapPoint has a lot of powerful heuristics which bring the computation time down to a reasonable level at the expense of not guaranteeing the absolute best combination. Still it might take a long time for 150.
    Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com
    Friday, January 27, 2012 2:11 PM
  • What do you mean by "a long time"?  Should be less than 30 seconds.  I just did one with 130 stops and it took less than 10 seconds.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Well that is good going!  It can take a lot longer - I've seen less than a dozen take a minute or two.

In one extreme case (a support request on the old newsgroups about 5 years ago), someone had 6 points and it took 30 minutes. This was a "pathological" case with trip points in Canada and Florida where the heuristics didn't work. A human could easily split the two, and S&T could then do a good job of optimizing the Florida points in a second or so (there were only two Canada points).

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com
    Monday, January 30, 2012 2:43 PM