none
Synctoy 2.1: where are the config/settings stored? RRS feed

• Question

• I created a large amount of folder pairs. Of course I like to backup the config/settings of Synctoy in case of. But I cannot find any setting. Not on disk and also not in the registry.

What do I have to save to backup the actual Synctoy config/settings.

Regards, Rob
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 7:32 PM

All replies

• Hi RHJBiesters,

Sorry for the inconvenience. SyncToy does not support backing up settings or config information.
    SyncToy requires different information and metadata, which are stored in different places, to work together, and these information and metadata need to be kept consistent. So we have not found a convenient and safe logic to export and import information such as folder pairs’ settings yet.

I saw some users stored cmd line scripts, which creates and sets their folder pairs, in a batch file as a work around.

I understand that it is boring to manually re-created folder pairs, especially when some advanced options were set. But please give us some time to find a way to approach the backup feature.

We also hope you can give us some suggestion about which information you wish to back up.

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 1:56 AM
  • Sorry for the inconvenience. SyncToy does not support backing up settings or config information.

SyncToy requires different information and metadata, which are stored in different places, to work together, and these information and metadata need to be kept consistent. So we have not found a convenient and safe logic to export and import information such as folder pairs’ settings yet. 

Imagine I buy a new PC. I copy my datafiles from the old PC to the new PC. When I install Synctoy I like to import the settings from the old PC. So I don't have to setup all folder pairs again.

I don't think it's a big issue that Synctoy stores information and metadata on different places. Just create an export option which collect everything into a config file. On another PC I should be able to import the config file, and by that have the same configuration on the new PC.

Regards, Rob
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:14 PM
  • Hi Rob,

I have just found out the following message in the SyncToy 2.1 download page:
    Folder pair configuration backup: Folder pair configuration is automatically backed up under %localappdata%\microsoft\synctoy\2.0. User can replace SyncToyDirPairs.bin with the backup copy to resolve last saved configuration.”

So SyncToy 2.1 in fact allows you to back up some folder settings. I hope it can help you with your scenario. Of course for a new PC, you had better keep the paths and content of your sync folders be consistent with your previous PC, as much as possible, or problems may happen. And please also notice that it may cost a lot of time for the first sync on your new system, because the previous metadata cannot be reused. Another thing is please do not modify the content of the .bin file in question.

Sorry I did not find the information at first.

Thanks, and happy holidays!

Friday, December 25, 2009 3:12 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Folder pair configuration backup: Folder pair configuration is automatically backed up under %localappdata%\microsoft\synctoy\2.0. User can replace SyncToyDirPairs.bin with the backup copy to resolve last saved configuration."

Hello JiGuang,

First the best wishes for 2010.

I seached my harddisk. Nowhere I can find a %localappdata%\microsoft\synctoy\ folder. I also cannot find  SyncToyDirPairs.bin somewhere on disk. SyncToy 2.1 for the rest is running fine. Do have this folder and bin file after installation of SyncToy 2.1?

Regards, Rob
    Friday, January 1, 2010 10:34 PM
  • %localappdata% is generally found in your Local Settings folder, so try this for your path to those files:

On your home drive (C:?) enter "Documents and Settings" folder, then enter your user folder, then (assuming your have your Windows Explorer set to show hidden files and folders) enter the "Local Settings" folder, then the "Application Data" folder, then enter the Microsoft folder and finally enter folder "SyncToy".

Another way to put it would be:

%HOMEDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\SyncToy

Now, remember what we've been told, you can confuse SyncToy by messing with the setting/configuration files and end up with more mess than if you just spent the time recreating the settings on your new system.

Happy New Year!

Saturday, January 2, 2010 12:39 AM
  • I have a follow-on question...  I rotate external harddrives as part of a backup routine.  When I rotate in a drive, all SyncToy acts on are the files added/changed since the last sync - it doesn't detect that I've brought in a old drive...

Is there a way to either delete a log file or force SyncToy to perform a fresh Sync as if it was to a clean drive?
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:16 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Folder pair configuration backup: Folder pair configuration is automatically backed up under %localappdata%\microsoft\synctoy\2.0. User can replace SyncToyDirPairs.bin with the backup copy to resolve last saved configuration."

Hello JiGuang,

First the best wishes for 2010.

I seached my harddisk. Nowhere I can find a %localappdata%\microsoft\synctoy\ folder. I also cannot find  SyncToyDirPairs.bin somewhere on disk. SyncToy 2.1 for the rest is running fine. Do have this folder and bin file after installation of SyncToy 2.1?

Regards, Rob

Hi Rob,

The “SyncToyDirPairs.bin” file should be in a sub folder, which is named “2.0”, of the “%localappdata%\microsoft\synctoy”. (SyncToy 2.1 also stored this file in “2.0” folder for back compatibility and to reuse the existing user data.) Hope this could help.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:06 AM
  • I have a follow-on question...  I rotate external harddrives as part of a backup routine.  When I rotate in a drive, all SyncToy acts on are the files added/changed since the last sync - it doesn't detect that I've brought in a old drive...

Is there a way to either delete a log file or force SyncToy to perform a fresh Sync as if it was to a clean drive?

Hi Stan,

Excuse me, but I cannot catch you about “rotating” external hard drives. Wouldn’t it be easier to create a new folder pair for a new destination folder? Would you like to describe your scenario in details, please?

And about the “delete a log file”, there is a “Clear Log” button in the “View SyncToy Log” GUI form to clear log file on your site. (But I guess you did not mean this log here, but you meant the metadata that tells SyncToy what have been synced, when you were saying “log file”.)

Thanks

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:23 AM
  • I think I'm trying to do the same thing Stan is attempting, and I'm here for the first time trying to find a fix for this issue, too.

I'm using SyncToy 2.1

My external drive is stored off site each Monday after backups run over the weekend.  When a "new" drive is mounted in its place using the same drive letter, SyncToy incorrectly believes the folders on the "new" drive are already synchronized, so it takes no action.

How do we force SyncToy to ignore the previous synchronization results and perform a new/fresh synch each week?  This needs to be based on what is actually in the destination folder and not what SyncToy thinks is in the destination folder.

Hope this clarifies our question.

Thanks!
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:01 PM
  • in this case, a dummy update of files on the left side would make the files to be sync-ed over.

thanks
    Yunwen
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 5:29 PM

Stan et al,

If you delete the SyncToy_*.dat files located in the root directories of the designated folder pairs, this should force a refresh. You may also want to delete the corresponding files in %localappdata%\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0.

HTH,

David

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:49 PM
  • After reinstalling SyncToy, I just copied over the contents of the old %localappdata%\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0 to the new drive and everything is working just fine. It sees all of the folder pairs and properly synced them all. Of course, I had run them before replacing the drive and replaced everything in the same paths as has been recommended. I wasn't looking forward to entering all those pairs again, either.

Mike

Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:17 PM
  • All, I had this problem in a Citrix environment where I do not want to redirect local\appdata settings.  To resolve it I created a logon/logoff script pair that copies the settings to a mapped network drive at logoff, and brings them into the user's local\appdata at logon.

Here are my notes:

The synctoy settings retention has been resolved using a logon and logoff script.

After the user has configured a synctoy pair, the logoff script copies the settings into the users y:\personal\archive drive using the following settings:
    md y:\personal\archive\synctoy
    copy d:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0\*.* y:\personal\archive\synctoy

At logon, the contents of that directory are brought into the users local appsettings location using the logon script as follows:

MD d:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SyncToy
    MD d:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0
    copy y:\personal\archive\synctoy\*.* d:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0\

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:11 PM