AVI files on Vail server do not play on Popcorn Hour A-110 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I continue my testing of the Vail beta and tried to play (stream) some AVI files (Xvid) to my Popcorn Hour A-110. I browse to my Vail server via the network browse interface on the Popcorn Hour. The vail server is listed as a server by default. When I select the video icon, I get a choice to select all videos and other filters. I select all videos and see my list of files. I select a file to play and the Popcorn says buffering and after a few moments it says "Cannot Play".

I have an existing WHS V1 server on my network and can play (stream) AVI files to my A-110 with no issues.

Is this a known issue or a limitation with the current beta?

-CB

Saturday, May 15, 2010 3:06 AM

Answers

• It sounds like you're using the built in windows media streamer to serve the files to the PCH. The built in windows media streamer in Vail may not be compatible with the PCH.  Take a look at the "How does media streaming work" link under Server Settings > Media Steaming and look at the link for Windows 7 Compatibility Center. I did not see the PCH listed as a compatible extender for Windows 7. Have you tried setting up an SMB share on your PCH? Also, instead of network navigation on the PCH, have you tried accessing the files through the Media Sources option in the PCH. My Vail server and all of my Windows 7 machines show automatically, but I can't play any of my m2ts files via that default Windows Media Sharing link. However, I can play them via SMB or HTTP.
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 12:41 PM

All replies

• I am able to play all my videos with VAIL on both my A-110 and A-200.  No issues.  Currently watching Psych Season 3 (MKV) on A-110 streaming from the Vail server, although it is mapped to the server, not a default.   I had this problem in the beginning when the mapped name was incorrect.
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 5:38 AM
  • It sounds like you're using the built in windows media streamer to serve the files to the PCH. The built in windows media streamer in Vail may not be compatible with the PCH.  Take a look at the "How does media streaming work" link under Server Settings > Media Steaming and look at the link for Windows 7 Compatibility Center. I did not see the PCH listed as a compatible extender for Windows 7. Have you tried setting up an SMB share on your PCH? Also, instead of network navigation on the PCH, have you tried accessing the files through the Media Sources option in the PCH. My Vail server and all of my Windows 7 machines show automatically, but I can't play any of my m2ts files via that default Windows Media Sharing link. However, I can play them via SMB or HTTP.
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 12:41 PM
  • I setup an SMB direct link to the Videos share on my Vail server and retested and it of course works now playing with the Popcorn Hour A-110. I have successfully used the Play To command in Windows 7 to play content on the Popcorn Hour A-110. I don't know if that qualifies the A-110 as a "media extender". With WHS V1, I could access and play video files using the WHS Connected interface that showed up on the Popcorn's main screen. So something has changed. Using the SMB direct link is a workaround for the moment.

-CB

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 6:02 PM