WHS Turns Off LAN Upon Driver Installation RRS feed

• Question

• My problem is similar to the "Restore CD - LAN Issues - Acer Aspire One XP" under related topics.  The issue is with a Gigabyte GA-
    MA780G-UD3H motherboard containing a Realtek 8111C chip.  Using the WHS restore CD, it indicates the correct driver is loaded (I've put one on a flash drive from both Gigabyte and Realtek also) but it can't locate the server.  After pulling my hair out for hours, I've found that the LAN connection lights up as soon as the PC boots, then shuts off as soon as WHS loads the driver.  I even disabled the on-board LAN, put in an ancient Netgear PCI LAN device and had the exact same problem; it was lit up until I installed the driver from the flash drive (WHS didn't find a driver for it automatically). 

I also have a gigabyte GA-945GM-S2 that loads the exact same LAN driver, yet will stay lit, find the server, etc.  I attempted to restore the drive from the other PC in this computer, but it won't boot after returning it to the original PC.

What can be causing this???

Thanks.

Friday, May 21, 2010 3:21 PM

All replies

• This KB article describes how to update Realtek drivers during a bare metal restore. Never mind that it implies it's talking about bare metal restore of your server, it's really talking about client restore. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, May 21, 2010 5:03 PM
  • I did that to no avail.  I think it's intended for the server, not the client, anyway.

Regardless, here's the fix:

http://breakinghomeserver.com/category/xfiles-edition/client-restore/

This wonderful person built a restore CD with updated Vista drivers and it worked like a charm.  They have an even more comprehensive restore here, but it's over 2GB:

http://breakinghomeserver.com/category/xfiles-edition/

Makes you wonder what PP3 was about and why Microsoft couldn't provide a fix.  I've lost hours of my life to this problem ...

Friday, May 21, 2010 6:06 PM
  • No, it's talking about client restore no matter what the title looks like. It even says so in one spot...

... and why Microsoft couldn't provide a fix ...

Honestly, because it's not Microsoft's problem. Realtek manufactures (in my opinion) crappy NICs, and writes crappy drivers to run them. Microsoft isn't responsible for either.

I have met dozens of people who have had problems with Realtek NICs, and not just with Windows Home Server. I have never met anyone who's had a problem with a cheap "bottom of the discount barrel" Intel PCI NIC, however, which you can pick up for $25. Guess which I buy. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 1:02 PM
  • As a workaround you can try either to follow te FAQ How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment with a second client PC, or if this does not work try to create a Windows 7 based recovery stick as described in the thread How to restore computer using Windows 7 DVD, since this works more efficient with Realtek drivers than Vista PE does.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, May 22, 2010 8:38 PM