Which MCTS track (2.0 or 3.5) to choose? RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to complete my MCTS certification but I am not sure wich track to choose. What would the community suggests? Schould I go for .NET 3.5 or 2.0?
    Friday, July 11, 2008 12:17 PM

Answers

• IPM said:

I'd like to complete my MCTS certification but I am not sure wich track to choose. What would the community suggests? Schould I go for .NET 3.5 or 2.0?

What do you have experience in?  What do you work with?

I would recommend doing the 2.0 track if that is where your experience is.  When the .NET 3.5 track is fully released towards the end of the year, youw ill be able to ugprade with a simple set of two exams.  Taking this particular route demonstrates a technical depth and an experience with multiple versions of the .NET platforms.

If, however, you do not have much experience with the .NET framework then I would strongly recommend continuing to build your experience on 3.5.  The time that you take to build your experience and really work with the framework will probably put you into the window of time where you could go after the .NET 3.5 MCPD track directly.

So what kind of experience do you have?  What do you work with?  When will you be ready tot ake the exams? 

If you have the experience now and will be taking exams in the next 3 months, start with .NET 2.0.

If you are preparing for later, concentrate your efforts on .NET 3.5.
    - Wayne S. Anderson MCITP, MCSE, MCT http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs/waynea
    Friday, July 11, 2008 3:08 PM

All replies

• IPM said:

I'd like to complete my MCTS certification but I am not sure wich track to choose. What would the community suggests? Schould I go for .NET 3.5 or 2.0?

What do you have experience in?  What do you work with?

I would recommend doing the 2.0 track if that is where your experience is.  When the .NET 3.5 track is fully released towards the end of the year, youw ill be able to ugprade with a simple set of two exams.  Taking this particular route demonstrates a technical depth and an experience with multiple versions of the .NET platforms.

If, however, you do not have much experience with the .NET framework then I would strongly recommend continuing to build your experience on 3.5.  The time that you take to build your experience and really work with the framework will probably put you into the window of time where you could go after the .NET 3.5 MCPD track directly.

So what kind of experience do you have?  What do you work with?  When will you be ready tot ake the exams? 

If you have the experience now and will be taking exams in the next 3 months, start with .NET 2.0.

If you are preparing for later, concentrate your efforts on .NET 3.5.
    - Wayne S. Anderson MCITP, MCSE, MCT http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs/waynea
    Friday, July 11, 2008 3:08 PM
  • If you are doing Asp.net applications you cannot skip Asp.ne 2.0 because even 3.5 applications deploy as 2.0 because 3.5 is some  add on to 2.0.  That is the reason the .NET framework exam is still in 2.0.

Asp.net MVP, MCPD Web C#, MCITP BI & MCTS SQL Server 2005
    Friday, July 11, 2008 3:09 PM
  • Thanks Wayne,

Your post was really helpful,

Igor
    Sunday, July 13, 2008 7:34 AM