none
PowerShell Multi-threading RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,

First post here btw so go easy...

I started using PowerShell to automate a few tasks at the job I work in. Infrastructure and Desktop Support (PowerShell Knoob).

Just wondering, I have a script, first It scans all IP's in a sub-net with a Foreach loop and returns the DNS host names in a CSV.  I then filter the returned data in the CSV to only display the cells begging with GBD (All our desktops start with this) and save this data on C:\ as computers.txt. Then, I run another script to wait until a time I specify, then run a simple for-each loop or Foreach-Object command to shut down all the target machines in computers.txt.

As I sometimes have to scan over 10.000 IP's and shutdown at most 3.000 desktops, I was wondering if there was a way to speed up this process through multi threading with workflows, jobs etc. I am new to scripting so try and break things down for me lol.

Note, the laptop I run the script from has PowerShell 5 however the whole company uses PowerShell 2.0 so will this be possible?

A colleague mentioned that on my PC I am only writing in PS 5 however my machine cannot run commands in it with multi threading. Is this true?.

Before you suggest Windows Task Scheduler sadly it's blocked here.

I am open to any suggestions even if you have alternative ways of doing this. Thanks.

#Script 1 Sub-net scan

cls

get-date
    $ips = Get-Content C:\temp\ips.txt
    $liveips = $null
    Write-Host "`nPlease wait...`n" -ForegroundColor Cyan

foreach ($ip in $ips) {

if (Test-Connection -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue $ip -quiet -count 1 ) { [array]$liveips = $liveips + "$ip"; write $ip }

}

$liveips | ForEach-Object { ([system.net.dns]::GetHostByAddress($_)).hostname | Out-File -Append -Force c:\temp\computers.csv }

get-date

#Script 2 shutdown

cls
    do {
    Start-Sleep 1=
    }
    until ((get-date) -ge (get-date  -Date 07/04/2018 -Hour 00 -Minute 00 ))

write-host "Starting shut down..." -ForegroundColor Cyan
    get-date
    echo ""

$computers = Get-Content C:\Shutdown\computers.txt

foreach ( $computer in $computers ) {  

stop-Computer -ErrorAction Continue -ComputerName $computer -Force;

}

Get-Date

• Edited by Abdul-Rehman Karim Monday, April 16, 2018 9:56 AM
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Wednesday, May 30, 2018 8:56 PM This is not "design solution for me" forum
    Monday, April 16, 2018 9:54 AM

All replies