Barcode recognition (Any thoughts?) (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• Hari1234 posted on 02-20-2011 11:28 PM

HI

Just recently I am getting involved with a project that requires me to use Barcodes from Windows 7  phones..(Luckily someone has ported that Zxing library from google to C#. But I am not really sure to the extent those libraries have incorporated AI/ Mahcine Learning. It occured to me interpreting  a barcode especially if there is bad lighting or if the quality of picture is not good, machine learning may have a role to play. Any thoughts on how one might approach this problem using Infer.net. Pointers to any resources might be good? Also it may be a good idea for msft to incorporate this into their own API's..

Friday, June 3, 2011 6:19 PM

Answers

• John Guiver replied on 02-21-2011 6:12 AM

Hi

I assume you are talking about the image recognition aspect of bar-code reading. We have no experience of that application area, I'm afraid. I would suggest scouring the literature - I would expect this is quite a mature field with well-tested solutions. If you can formulate a model, we can see if it is a good fit and, if so, can advise on implementing a model. Sorry not to be of more help. Maybe someone else in the community can shed more light.

John

Friday, June 3, 2011 6:19 PM