Bought Genuine License Kit, but still getting WGA Notifications RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a computer on eBay some years ago and it had been working fine until the WGA notifications started saying it was a pirated copy.  We went ahead and purchased a Genuine Windows License Kit through Microsoft for XP Pro and I installed the new license key that was sent via email.

I also activiated and verified on the Microsoft site that it was Genuine after running the Product Code upgrade program that came in the link with the email.

The problem now is that we are still getting the WGA Notification that we have a pirated copy each time we restart/reboot.  I am not sure what else to do.  I have given you my $149.99, updated and followed the instructions in the email, but it won't go away.  I tried calling the number for tech support and after waiting on the phone for 15 minutes I was told to visit another link on the web, but that link just goes to a site where you get to email Microsoft for support.  What was the point of calling the number in the email if you can't help me on the phone anyway?

Oh and the scary horror them organ music while I waited on hold was a nice touch.  What are you people thinking?

Friday, September 8, 2006 3:02 PM

Answers

• Greyfield,

Could you do this for me please?

1. Download and run the WGA Diagnostic Tool  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

2. After running the WGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and then click on "Copy" at the bottom right of the window. Paste the results into your forum response by starting a new post/thread and holding down "CTRL" and clicking "V" while still having "CTRL" held..

Friday, September 8, 2006 3:48 PM

All replies

• Greyfeld,

Have you already gotten your PK through your email?

Friday, September 8, 2006 3:38 PM
  • Yes, I have gotten the PK email, run the update tool, activated XP and validated that I have a genuine installation.  I still get the WGA piracy notifications whenever I log in though even after a restart/reboot.

Sorry that wasn't clear from the first message,

We went ahead and purchased a Genuine Windows License Kit through Microsoft for XP Pro and I installed the new license key that was sent via email.

I also activiated and verified on the Microsoft site that it was Genuine after running the Product Code upgrade program that came in the link with the email.

Friday, September 8, 2006 3:45 PM
  • Greyfield,

Could you do this for me please?

1. Download and run the WGA Diagnostic Tool  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

2. After running the WGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and then click on "Copy" at the bottom right of the window. Paste the results into your forum response by starting a new post/thread and holding down "CTRL" and clicking "V" while still having "CTRL" held..

Friday, September 8, 2006 3:48 PM
  • Not at this time because I am at work.  However, I did run that yesterday and it came back and verified it as a Genuine Windows install.  When I have a chance I will try and do that and paste the result.
    Friday, September 8, 2006 3:50 PM
  • Okay, so I haven't responded because now I am getting missing or corrupt hal.dll problems.  After trying some of the solutions online and them not working at all, I decided to use the new kit CD that was sent for my $159 and do a repair install.  That went okay, it took the new product key and installed everything. 

Only problem is that now when I boot up, it says the software is not genuine and I need to activate Windows before I can login.  I've got my networking cable plugged in, but it isn't connecting via DHCP so I can't get a connection to the internet.  Router doesn't even show a request for an address from the computer.  It won't let me log in at all without authorizing to fix the network settings, even to safe mode.  I guess you are going to force me to call to authorize.  You know, I hate to say it, but this has just gotten severely annoying. 

Thursday, September 21, 2006 4:07 AM
  • Hi there,

I've been following this thread and have the same problem.  I bought my computer from a shop a couple of years back and started getting the notifications so bought a genuine licence, validated it and my system says it is genuine.  It is all validated and activated as far as I know so I ran the diagnostic tool Derrik gave by a link above and it says:

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0545.0):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Genuine

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2RVTV-PDPT8-9KCCB

Windows Product Key Hash: t8IeqnixHZ+f1+3USil5hVQAvCA=

Windows Product ID: 55274-083-5886521-22360

Windows Product ID Type: 5

Windows License Type: Retail

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro

ID: 75dbf0f1-2bc2-4a21-814c-40aad873b9ba

Is Admin: Yes

AutoDial: Yes

Registry: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.708.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Validation Diagnostic: FCEE394C-405-80040154_025D1FF3-118-80040154

Resolution Status: N/A

System Scan Data-->

Scan: Complete

Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: 3

File Exists: Yes

Version: 1.5.540.0

WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 114

Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-405-80040154_025D1FF3-118-80040154

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)

Default Browser: blank.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Allowed

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Allowed

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Allowed

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>75dbf0f1-2bc2-4a21-814c-40aad873b9ba</UGUID><Version>1.5.0545.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-9KCCB</PKey><PID>55274-083-5886521-22360</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1844237615-1326574676-839522115</SID><SYSTEM/><BIOS/><HWID>CC51359701844E6C</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>              <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57192</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

I am now stumped.  Any help would be gratefully appreciated.  Fiona.

Thursday, September 21, 2006 9:31 AM
  • Fiona,

I can't answer for a solution to the original problem because the hard drive XP was installed on started throwing a ton of bad sectors and I couldn't even boot to it anymore.  When I tried the repair installation, I could not even log into Windows at all without first activating the copy via the internet or phone.  I was very annoyed to say the least.

Last night, I installed XP to the other hard drive on the system which still had plenty of room and wasn't corrupted.  I used the Genuine Advantage kit CD that was mailed to me after making the purchase online.  It prompted me for the Product Key and let me go ahead and configure everything like a normal install (unlike the repair install!!) and activated  fine.  It has yet to prompt me with the non-genuine message at boot up either.

Sorry I can't give you any more information on how to solve the original issue.

Friday, September 22, 2006 8:17 PM
  • Thanks anyway but it seems to have gone away.  I have fiddled around with different configurations on the system (am not a computer buff by all means - am a piano teacher!) but it seems to have disappeared.  Fingers crossed .......
    Tuesday, September 26, 2006 7:27 AM
  •  Greyfeld wrote:

Fiona,

I can't answer for a solution to the original problem because the hard drive XP was installed on started throwing a ton of bad sectors and I couldn't even boot to it anymore.  When I tried the repair installation, I could not even log into Windows at all without first activating the copy via the internet or phone.  I was very annoyed to say the least.

Last night, I installed XP to the other hard drive on the system which still had plenty of room and wasn't corrupted.  I used the Genuine Advantage kit CD that was mailed to me after making the purchase online.  It prompted me for the Product Key and let me go ahead and configure everything like a normal install (unlike the repair install!!) and activated  fine.  It has yet to prompt me with the non-genuine message at boot up either.

Sorry I can't give you any more information on how to solve the original issue.

Grey:

I definitely hear you about the issues you're having on your machine and can feel your pain :(.

From what I take, it was a hardware issue that caused the underlying issues? Can you confirm?

Thanks!

-phil

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 8:59 AM
  • I think you are right.  I had another couple of notifications that started popping up at the same time as the WGA appeared (have to say though, they weren't around before the WGA notification kicked in .....) 

One of them was to do with framedyn.dll which was missing.  Don't even want to get into that one as am still in therapy over it but after a lot of mucking about it seems to be all working (touch wood).

Regards, Fiona.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:08 AM