Behavior of WHS when enabling guest user account RRS feed

• Question

• When I enabled the Guest account without a password all my other client computers that had working connectors had the connector icon in the system tray turn gray and stop working.  I had to disable the guest account for normal operation to resume.  This is not what I expected.  Is that normal?

Wes Bushman
    jkbushman@tampabay.rr.com

Sunday, December 28, 2008 12:51 AM

Answers

• I still haven't succeeded in reproducing the problem.  I've restarted with and without the Linux box in the loop.  This is beginning to look like it may be a mistake.  What I was trying was to get the Linux box (Fedora 10) to recognize the WHS and allow easier file transfer than uploading and downloading through an internet browser.  Paul McFedries in Microsoft Windows Home Server Unleashed (pg. 120-130) and Greg Kettell in Windows Home Server Bible (pg 186-188) describe ways to do this with Linux.  That is what I was trying to do but was having trouble and thought I would try it with the Guest account enabled to see if that worked.  That is when I experienced the initial problem in my first post.  I've just repeated all that and the problem did not repeat (nor did enabling the Guest account have any beneficial effect).

Please ignore this until I get my facts straight.  I'll reply to this if I can find out what caused what I saw and can get it to repeat.

Sorry,
    Wes

• Marked as answer by Flwes Sunday, December 28, 2008 4:08 PM
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 1:44 PM

All replies

• Flwes said:

When I enabled the Guest account without a password all my other client computers that had working connectors had the connector icon in the system tray turn gray and stop working.  I had to disable the guest account for normal operation to resume.  This is not what I expected.  Is that normal?

Wes Bushman
    jkbushman@tampabay.rr.com

No, it's not normal.  The Connector software has nothing to do with user permissions at all.  Have you noticed any other odd behavior?  What add-ins do you have installed?  Have you ever logged into the server desktop and changed anything there?  What are the component numbers in the Console (Settings button, Resources tab)?
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 2:52 AM
  • Wait a minute.  I just tried it again and this time everything is OK.  I need to experiment with this some more.  I didn't exactly repeat what I had done earlier.  When I tried this before there was also a Linux box connected on the network - and I had restarted both the Linux box, the WHS and one of the normal Client machines.  I'll retry some of those combinations and see if I can repeat the problem and re-post my results.

Wes
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 1:15 PM
  • I still haven't succeeded in reproducing the problem.  I've restarted with and without the Linux box in the loop.  This is beginning to look like it may be a mistake.  What I was trying was to get the Linux box (Fedora 10) to recognize the WHS and allow easier file transfer than uploading and downloading through an internet browser.  Paul McFedries in Microsoft Windows Home Server Unleashed (pg. 120-130) and Greg Kettell in Windows Home Server Bible (pg 186-188) describe ways to do this with Linux.  That is what I was trying to do but was having trouble and thought I would try it with the Guest account enabled to see if that worked.  That is when I experienced the initial problem in my first post.  I've just repeated all that and the problem did not repeat (nor did enabling the Guest account have any beneficial effect).

Please ignore this until I get my facts straight.  I'll reply to this if I can find out what caused what I saw and can get it to repeat.

Sorry,
    Wes

• Marked as answer by Flwes Sunday, December 28, 2008 4:08 PM
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 1:44 PM