Accessing CRM without being on the domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all

I need to allow some customers to access my crm server, so i have to add them as crm users but the problem is that i can't add them as users on my domain for security reasons

is there anyway to do this ???

any help will be appreciated

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:40 AM

Answers

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:14 PM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:15 AM
  • Hi Mostafa,

You have two options:

1. Redeploy your existing CRM system in the IFD configuration. This is a significant project and will require you to redeploy CRM, reinstall/reconfigure any Outlook clients already used by your employees, and recompile any custom code. You can't 'upgrade' from on-premise to IFD -- it's more complicated than that. You will then need to create an AD account for each external user and purchase a CRM client access license for that user. So if you have 10 customers each with 5 users who need to access your CRM system then you will need to purchase 50 CRM CALs.

2. Purchase a CRM 4.0 External Connector license (this is a license and no software is included) which will give you rights to make your CRM system available to an unlimited number of non-employees. You will then need to develop a user interface for your customers to access the data and features you want them to use. The CRM portal accelerators are good examples of this, although you might prefer a custom developed web solution or a content management system such as SiteCore or SharePoint (more licensing required!).

Hope this helps.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:13 PM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:19 AM
  • No, if you are going to configure IFD then you don't need external connector licens.
    Mahain : http://mahenderpal.wordpress.com
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:21 AM

All replies

• Hello all

I need to allow some customers to access my crm server, so i have to add them as crm users but the problem is that i can't add them as users on my domain for security reasons

is there anyway to do this ???

any help will be appreciated

• Merged by DavidJennawayMVP, Moderator Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:43 PM Duplicate thread. Please only post the question in one forum
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:42 AM
  • Is it going to be your customers or users inside your organization?
    Cheers, Edwin
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:46 AM
  • If that is going to be your people inside the organization  - that is the only way
    Cheers, Edwin
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:51 AM
  • theya are going to be my customers
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:52 AM
  • Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:52 AM
    • Proposed as answer by HIMBAPModerator Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:41 AM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:53 AM
  • can IFD deployment solve my problem ???
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:32 PM
  • Hi,

Your users must to be on your AD. If your scenario does not support this, you would like to implement an accelerator as suggested by Mahender and/or a custom development that interacts with your CRM implementation.

Hope it helps to clarify,

PP [twitter.com/pabloperalta]

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:32 PM
  • can IFD deployment solve my problem ???
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:33 PM
  • Hi Mostafa, yes the IFD deployment option is designed to solve exactly the requirement you have by providing an internet accessible CRM system. However, IFD also requires that you create an AD account for each user because it still relies on AD for authentication. However, if you set up their AD accounts correctly they should have no privileges to access anything on your network except CRM.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:46 PM
  • I think that using eservice accelerator will be good for you.

The best diaper reviews
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:15 PM
  • Hi,

No you can allow internet / IFD users to access the crm if you do not want to add the users to AD due to security reasons. You can only able to access CRM if the user is added to AD and then to MS CRM.

For this specific requirement, you can create a Integration User in AD / CRM and create a custom Application to connect to MS CRM using the configured Integraion user. As mention you could use Customer Portal or  eservice accelerator.

The above two accelerators are availalbe to download for free.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ranjitsingh R | http://mscrm-developer.blogspot.com/ | MS CRM Consultant
    • Proposed as answer by Ranjitsingh R Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:45 PM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

No you can allow internet / IFD users to access the crm if you do not want to add the users to AD due to security reasons. You can only able to access CRM if the user is added to AD and then to MS CRM.

For this specific requirement, you can create a Integration User in AD / CRM and create a custom Application to connect to MS CRM using the configured Integraion user. As mention you could use Customer Portal or  eservice accelerator.

The above two accelerators are availalbe to download for free.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ranjitsingh R | http://mscrm-developer.blogspot.com/ | MS CRM Consultant
    • Proposed as answer by Ranjitsingh R Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:55 PM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Also as a side note: If external users are accessing and manipulating CRM data you'll need an external connector license.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:46 PM
  • Dear Octopuddle please give more details about this license, or any topic where i can read about it

thanks in advance

Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:30 AM
    • Proposed as answer by HIMBAPModerator Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:41 AM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:14 PM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:15 AM
  • Hi Mahendar and Octopuddle,

According to the following scenario:

I need to allo customers to access my crm server in to manipulate data and perform tasks assigned to them, and in order to do this I will upgrade my crm deployement in ifd so they can log into my crm through the browser directly without any application/graphical user interface (GUI) and without the need to enter the domain name in the username field

do i still need an external connector license ???

thanks in advance

Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:42 AM
  • IFD uses Active Directory to authenticate a user, so the user must be in your domain then

refer http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc151054.aspx

Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:05 AM
  • hi Mahender,

Thnaks alot for your effort.

but you still not answered my question

according to the above scenario:

do i still need an external connector licens ?? 

Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:18 AM
  • Hi Mostafa,

You have two options:

1. Redeploy your existing CRM system in the IFD configuration. This is a significant project and will require you to redeploy CRM, reinstall/reconfigure any Outlook clients already used by your employees, and recompile any custom code. You can't 'upgrade' from on-premise to IFD -- it's more complicated than that. You will then need to create an AD account for each external user and purchase a CRM client access license for that user. So if you have 10 customers each with 5 users who need to access your CRM system then you will need to purchase 50 CRM CALs.

2. Purchase a CRM 4.0 External Connector license (this is a license and no software is included) which will give you rights to make your CRM system available to an unlimited number of non-employees. You will then need to develop a user interface for your customers to access the data and features you want them to use. The CRM portal accelerators are good examples of this, although you might prefer a custom developed web solution or a content management system such as SiteCore or SharePoint (more licensing required!).

Hope this helps.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:19 AM
  • No, if you are going to configure IFD then you don't need external connector licens.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:21 AM