Lost Indexes and Ranking RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I am trying to figure out why our site has lost indexing of many pages as well as our ranking on MSN and LIVE search engines.  We were in the top 10 in many different keyword searches and all of our pages were being indexed.  Now, almost all indexing is gone and we do not appear even in the top 100 on the keyword searches anymore.  Can someone please explain this to me?

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:21 PM

Answers

• Mjokc,

I think the issue stems from a lack of content on your home page. Looking at it without images, all I see are navigation links. I suggest using firefox's web developer addon to take a look at your site without images. There is 0 readable content on your home page which is causing problems for the rest of your site. I strongly suggest reading our FAQs located at the top of the indexing and ranking forums. They will provide you with information on how our crawler works and what you need to do to rank well.

Brett 

Monday, January 19, 2009 5:30 PM

All replies

• There are so many variables, it would be very difficult to recreate. What have you changed within the last 2 months? What links stopped reporting?

Affordable Search Engine Optimization

Saturday, November 15, 2008 6:22 AM
  • Same here, I removed the url: http://www.bleuken.com/promotionalitems-corporategifts-srednarb/ on the webmaster cause I thought I added the main site's sitemap already and does not need to include the said subfolder. Then I found out that it already lost from the rankings. It shows in the indexed page but does not rank at all. It started on page one when I added it the first time. I re-added the URL but as of now it is not seen yet.

Did I did wrong from removing it on the Webmaster's Tool?
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:52 PM
  •  bleuken wrote:
    Same here, I removed the url: http://www.bleuken.com/promotionalitems-corporategifts-srednarb/ on the webmaster cause I thought I added the main site's sitemap already and does not need to include the said subfolder. Then I found out that it already lost from the rankings. It shows in the indexed page but does not rank at all. It started on page one when I added it the first time. I re-added the URL but as of now it is not seen yet.

Did I did wrong from removing it on the Webmaster's Tool?

I'm not sure how that works with live. But your title tag should be first. And instead of using the <strong> tag, try using the <b> tag. The link you have at the top of the page should be to a sitemap.html page and not the sitemap.xml file. HTML pages are for your visitors, and .xml and .txt files are for the search engines. Other than that, try to optimize it for search engines according to your sales strategy.

Emo

Affordable SEO solutions
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 11:46 PM
  • I think <b> tag is not recommended for xHTML Strict 1.0. With regards to sitemap.xml, when you clicked it, it opens a formatted page of the whole URL of the site and it's more comfortable to use rather than the static HTML site. Does it make any difference at all?
    Monday, November 17, 2008 1:43 AM
  • The only thing we have changed is adding more content.  The page count is still the same, but the index count keeps going down.  Our site map is always up to date.  As far as links to our site, we always make sure if we ever get more links that they all have a page rank of at least 2.

I have no idea why this is happening.  We have not changed the way we do things at all other than adding more content. 

We have gone from all of our pages being indexed and getting a good ranking score to almost all pages not being indexed and no ranking at all.  Our indexes and ranking are great on Google and Yahoo, but we have fallen off the map with MSN.

Monday, November 17, 2008 4:26 PM
  • Hi mjokc,

Could you please provide your domain name and a couple of your keywords and I will take a look.

Thanks,

Brett

Monday, November 24, 2008 6:05 PM
  • http://www.ecableties.com

cable ties

miniature cable ties

heavy duty cable ties

wire ties

zip ties

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 3:40 PM
  • Did anything become of this? I have the same problem. Some pages from my site used to rank 1 and 2 on MSN for my keywords, but dropped off between September 2007 and February 2008, never to be seen again. If I'm lucky, some pages still appear in the top 100. Incidentally, those same pages still rank number 1 or 2 on Google and Yahoo. I've done very little to my Web pages over the course of years, perhaps add or modify text content. Clearly not enough to change my Google and Yahoo standings.

I have no idea where to begin looking and don't want to start changing things for the sake of just changing things; especially considering my Google rankings.

Incidentally, the Web pages in question haven't been indexed by MSN since June. The pages on my site that DO show up in MSN searches seem to be indexing regularly. Is something stuck?

Thanks,

Scott

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 12:35 AM
  • No, I still have no information....  My rankings have actually improved even more on Google and Yahoo since I first posted, but we are still nowhere to be found on MSN.  Its pretty funny when two of the three major search engines have it right, but MSN we do not show up at all.  We are not even in the top 100 on MSN.  We were in the top 10 for quite awhile on MSN, but have dropped off completely now. 

VERY STRANGE!!!!!

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:16 PM
  • It is strange and I'm sorry to hear nothing has become of it. Makes me loose confidence in the MSN search engine.

My keywords aren't even competitive; no one wants them (obscure). So, it doesn't make any sense to me.

My situtaion is similiar to yours. Still doing well on Google and Yahoo. But if Microsoft buys Yahoo and shuts their search engine down, we are hosed.

I thought time would heal this wound, but alas, nothing.

Scott

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 5:28 PM
  • Mjokc,

I think the issue stems from a lack of content on your home page. Looking at it without images, all I see are navigation links. I suggest using firefox's web developer addon to take a look at your site without images. There is 0 readable content on your home page which is causing problems for the rest of your site. I strongly suggest reading our FAQs located at the top of the indexing and ranking forums. They will provide you with information on how our crawler works and what you need to do to rank well.

Brett 

Monday, January 19, 2009 5:30 PM