have win xp cd but lost c.o.a key RRS feed

• Question

• hi a few months ago i purchased a win xp cd it is genuine with hologram etc but i put it down a few months and guess what yes i have just purchased a laptop with no O/S on so i looked for the cd ,found it but the c.o.a sticker with the key number on it is not there,can you please advise me on how to get the key many thanks bryan...
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 3:56 PM

Answers

• Good Morning Bryan,

You have a couple options actually :-). You could contact the laptop's Technical Support and request them to send you the OEM SLP Recovery Media for your particular make and model of system. Next please see the following Knowledge Base (KB) article

KB326246 - How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs and product upgrades, and replace product manuals

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/326246

Hopefully this will get you back up and running quickly.

Take care Bryan,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, April 2, 2009 5:40 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Morning Bryan,

Unfortunately I do not have any guidance as how you can find the key for the disc. Curious where did you physically purchase Windows XP from? Also was the disc a retail version or is it an OEM System Builder version? Visit http://www.howtotell.com and compare your media against what is identified there. More than likely the disc you purchased is an OEM System Builder media. If so then you would need to contact the company whom sold you the media because they are responsible for provideing you with support @ this point. Should this option not be available then you can contact Microsoft as mentioned previously. Also have you looked @ the bottom of your laptop which you purchased? If so what does the Certificate of Authenticity "COA" sticker say as far as what version of Windows?  Again compare this to the How To Tell site above. The best option @ this point would be to contact the laptop manufacturer's Technical Support and request them to mail you the recovery media for your particular model. Now you can still pursue the other option with Microsoft and see how that works as well.

Take care Bryan,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, April 3, 2009 6:14 PM
    Friday, April 3, 2009 6:14 PM

All replies

• Good Morning Bryan,

You have a couple options actually :-). You could contact the laptop's Technical Support and request them to send you the OEM SLP Recovery Media for your particular make and model of system. Next please see the following Knowledge Base (KB) article

KB326246 - How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs and product upgrades, and replace product manuals

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/326246

Hopefully this will get you back up and running quickly.

Take care Bryan,

Stephen

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, April 2, 2009 5:40 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 5:39 PM
  • hi thanks for the reply but is there anyway i could find the key for the disc or is the disc now useless and do i have to find alternatives ways thanks again..bryan..
    Friday, April 3, 2009 5:00 PM
  • Morning Bryan,

Unfortunately I do not have any guidance as how you can find the key for the disc. Curious where did you physically purchase Windows XP from? Also was the disc a retail version or is it an OEM System Builder version? Visit http://www.howtotell.com and compare your media against what is identified there. More than likely the disc you purchased is an OEM System Builder media. If so then you would need to contact the company whom sold you the media because they are responsible for provideing you with support @ this point. Should this option not be available then you can contact Microsoft as mentioned previously. Also have you looked @ the bottom of your laptop which you purchased? If so what does the Certificate of Authenticity "COA" sticker say as far as what version of Windows?  Again compare this to the How To Tell site above. The best option @ this point would be to contact the laptop manufacturer's Technical Support and request them to mail you the recovery media for your particular model. Now you can still pursue the other option with Microsoft and see how that works as well.

Take care Bryan,

Stephen

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, April 3, 2009 6:14 PM
    Friday, April 3, 2009 6:14 PM