Went to new 'Win Update' and now locks on WGA RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday I noticed I was being prompted to sign up for a new version of Windows Update. Did that successfully. Then clicked on Windows Update and the page eventually timed out. Tracked the first part of the problem down to my CA ZA Firewall which previously had allowed updates happily (but didnt like the new version from MS). I allowed that and tried again. This time I looked at 'installed updates' first. Everything seemed ok up to 17 feb but yesterday it had tried (for some bizarre reason) to download again a new version of WGA and recorded that it had been 'cancelled'.

I separately validated my MS Office and Windows on the 'Genuine' webpages (again) but my PC will now under no circumstances run a Windows Update to completion. It just hangs with the little green boxes tracking across the scrren (20 + mins before timeout).

Have I been 'snookered' by Microsoft? All help appreciated.

Ian Murray

I have XP Pro full (not OEM edititon)

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-NOT POSTED
    Windows Product Key Hash: EgSP8LPhh8ITmjaz776vE7SEcLk=
    Windows Product ID: 76488-014-9274913-22976
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: 4d94c500-85b3-41ef-8876-87e815f2a925
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.20.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-150-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>4d94c500-85b3-41ef-8876-87e815f2a925</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-GJGBK</PKey><PID>76488-014-9274913-22976</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1659004503-1202660629-1060284298</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation      </Manufacturer><Model>XPS-Z                          </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>A07</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20010221000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>A3283C8F0184C056</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>64241B1A8090DF3</Val><Hash>9tkND/gxSByfgB/kseIN8TJsKgI=</Hash><Pid>70145-761-0068007-57959</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

===================

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Kewfriend,

WGA appear to be working fine and there really isn't anything in WGA that could cause this issue. We have, however, seen this behavior before when there is a problem with the Softwaredistribution service on your computer. We suggest trying the below steps:

•       Start \ Run

•       Type cmd then click OK

•       In the command prompt type the following command : Net stop wuauserv      (Press Enter)

•       In windows navigate to 'C:\Windows' and Delete folder 'Softwaredistribution'   Also delete the same folder in 'C:\Windows\System32'

•       In command Prompt type the following :  Net start wuauserv     (Press Enter to Start Windows update services)

If this does not work, I suggest that, if you are able to reach http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us, select "Get Help and Support". If not, go to http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport and follow the directions to receive Windows Update Support.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Program Manager

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:38 PM

All replies

• Hello Kewfriend,

Please try the following:

1) Go to http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/ and click the “Start Diagnostic" button.
    2) If the tool finds any issues, click the "Resolve Now" button and follow any directions listed.

Please post back and tell us about your experience with the tool and if it was successful in resolving your issue. 

Thank you,
    Darin Smith

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:36 PM
  • Many thanks

Passed Active scripting allowed
    Passed Display images enabled
    Passed Computer time and date correct
    Passed ActiveX enabled
    Passed Windows validation ActiveX loaded
    Passed Office validation ActiveX loaded
    Passed Validation Self-help ActiveX loaded
    Passed Validation Self-help: Data.dat Corruption check
    Passed Validation Self-help: Cryptography check
    Passed Validation Self-help: Product Activation check

I had to allow the active X control. I pressed the Validate Windows button and (really quite slowly - 20 secs) it validated OK - as it should of course. OFFICE passed much more quickly - 5 secs. Not sure why the difference. But the Windows Updates still locks on the little green bars - we're talking timing out after about 15 to 20 mins of green bars.

So I must assume that all is well ....?? Hope so but I dont like Windows Updates not performing as it did before - its doesnt feel right!

Kewfriend

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:00 PM
  • Hi Kewfriend,

WGA appear to be working fine and there really isn't anything in WGA that could cause this issue. We have, however, seen this behavior before when there is a problem with the Softwaredistribution service on your computer. We suggest trying the below steps:

•       Start \ Run

•       Type cmd then click OK

•       In the command prompt type the following command : Net stop wuauserv      (Press Enter)

•       In windows navigate to 'C:\Windows' and Delete folder 'Softwaredistribution'   Also delete the same folder in 'C:\Windows\System32'

•       In command Prompt type the following :  Net start wuauserv     (Press Enter to Start Windows update services)

If this does not work, I suggest that, if you are able to reach http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us, select "Get Help and Support". If not, go to http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport and follow the directions to receive Windows Update Support.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:38 PM
  • Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

I'll post back here as soon as I've got the PC to myself again - so to speak - probably this evening.

Many thanks

Thursday, March 1, 2007 10:59 AM
  • OK all's well but I do have a few comments.

Firstly I would like to thank you for your responses and good advice. I would like your department to be aware of my positive views.

Secondly after following your advice with respect to stopping the unpdate service, cleaning and restarting the service the following happened:

a) The Update Service successfully ran to completion and this time (again) identified the only update needed as the latest WGA (1.2Mb). I downloaded this, installed it and that also ran successfully to completion: new lists of drivers rebuilt etc.

b) Now the history of my updates ONLY records this latest WGA update. This I assume is a direct result of deleting the advised folders. I'm not too concerned but it is worth advising others in the future that this is a by-product of the advice.

I did not use the new Microsoft Update service - and am a little nervous about so doing. Should I be nervous?

Many thanks

kewfriend (aka Ian)

Friday, March 2, 2007 9:48 AM