Open DAT files on another computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, is possible to open computer backups from Home Server on another Home Serer? Is that possible? Cause I cannot access them via console. Thanks to backup service failure.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:19 PM

Answers

• There is no system recovery in Windows Home Server. It's based on a version of Windows Server 2003, and that OS didn't have System Recovery available. You need to use reinstallation/recovery, per this FAQ (which describes the process, albeit in a different context).

But if there's a problem with one of your hard drives, or if the backup database is corrupt, reinstallation won't help and may cause futher problems or even fail completley.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:54 PM

All replies

• No.  If the console is not working, you may need to try a "chkdsk /r" on all your disks. Otherwise, you'll probably need to do a server reinstallation
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:55 PM
  • You should run chkdsk on all the drives in your server , as a first step. If that doesn't correct the issue, probably it indicates that your backup database has become damaged somehow. You can attempt a server recovery as suggested, but a damaged database will still be damaged.

To repair your database, open the console, click on Settings, then Backup, then click Repair. Note that Repair will attempt to correct what's wrong with your backup database. Because of the way Windows Home Server backups are stored, this usually means that some backups will be lost, and it's possible to lose all backups, depending on where the damage was. Note in this case that you aren't worse off than you are right now, since you don't have access to the backups anyway.

If you're okay with starting from scratch on backups, you can log in to your server using Remote Desktop, navigate to D:\Folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} , and delete everything you find within, then reboot your server. After that, you will need to reconfigure backups for each home computer, which you can do through the console.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:49 PM
  • Can I use System Recovery on Home Server? Is it possible? Cause I didnt find it yet.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:19 PM
  • There is no system recovery in Windows Home Server. It's based on a version of Windows Server 2003, and that OS didn't have System Recovery available. You need to use reinstallation/recovery, per this FAQ (which describes the process, albeit in a different context).

But if there's a problem with one of your hard drives, or if the backup database is corrupt, reinstallation won't help and may cause futher problems or even fail completley.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:54 PM