Valiadating of my windows xp RRS feed

• Question

• I had Reasonly purched this computer from a Computer Liquidation center in St. Johns NL.It had Windows 98 on it when i bought it.I formated the hard drive and down loaded the XP version.On this one and also on another computer wish my son uses. I have download the updates on the other computer with no problems. Could my problem be that this computer was once leased or owned by a company and it is detecting Office XP
    Sunday, October 29, 2006 9:29 PM

Answers

• You cannot use the same Windows XP license (Product Key) on two different computers.  Each computer must have its own individual Windows XP license.
    Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:35 PM

All replies

• You cannot use the same Windows XP license (Product Key) on two different computers.  Each computer must have its own individual Windows XP license.
    Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:35 PM
  •  Thumper 5694 wrote:

>snip<

I formated the hard drive and down loaded the XP version.

>snip<

As a rule, MS does not sell to the general public, nor authorize anyone else to sell to the general public, legitimate copies of its Operating System software via a "download."  It is very likely that the copy of XP you "downloaded" is a pirated copy.

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another edition of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Monday, October 30, 2006 5:19 AM